When a president signs off, administrative turnover is an almost inevitable by-product

The imposing entrance of Nassau Hall may become a revolving door as inevitable administrative turnover follows President Shapiro's departure at the end of the year.

Since former President Robert Goheen '40's retirement in 1972, a trend of high-level University administrators leaving within the first few years after a presidential change has developed.

During the first year of Shapiro's term, for example, three top-level administrators left the University.

Vice President for Finance and Administration Richard Spies GS '72 said it is difficult to predict how much administrative attrition will accompany Shapiro's departure.

"It's early for all of us to absorb," he said.

Spies noted that there are two reasons an administrator might leave. The first, he said, is that some may see a president's resignation as an appropriate time to leave the University as well.

Retiring Harvard University president Neil Rudenstine '56 was Princeton's provost under former Princeton president William Bowen GS '58. But when President Shapiro took over the presidency, Rudenstine left.

"In 1987-88, there were people like Provost Rudenstine, who decided to make a change," Spies said. "It was a convenient time to leave."

He added that the other main reason why people depart is an incoming president may want to hire new people for his administration.

"Any new president ought to have the ability to make changes to hire people he or she feels comfortable with," Spies said. He added, however, that "you don't know what will happen until the new president is chosen."

Vice President and Secretary Thomas Wright '62 also emphasized this point. "You won't be able to tell all at one moment," he said. "The real question is how [the administration] looks three years from now."

One possible indicator of potential administrative turnover could be the age of the new president, both Spies and Wright said. If Shapiro's successor is close to him in age, fewer people may leave than if his successor were significantly younger or older.

Spies said because Shapiro and Bowen are close to the same age, there was not a lot of administrative attrition between their terms. "There was not much generational change," he said, adding there "was a large age difference between Bowen and Goheen."

"My impression is that there was more turnover administratively in the first years of Bowen than the first few of Shapiro," Wright said.

He said, though, that regardless of the age of the new president, it is critical that he or she enjoy the freedom to make administrative personnel changes.

Wright pointed out, however, that the presence of experienced members of the University administration helps the transition period between presidents go smoothly.

"There needs to be a balance between continuity and change," he said.

Wright said most administrators have not yet decided whether they intend to stay on at the University. Ann Halliday GS '78, special assistant to the president, said though she thinks it is too early in the year to guess which administrators will depart with Shapiro, she predicts there will be some turnover.

"Change begets change," she said.

Spies said he hopes to remain in his position because he sees himself as an asset in making the transition an easy one.

"My expectation is that if I'm asked to stay, I'll almost certainly stay," Spies said. "However, that's really something the new president should decide."