The Unexpected Spokesperson

The latest addition to the University's presidential search committee appears to be very much a typical Princeton student — in both her perceptions of campus and her rather limited knowledge of the questions that confront it.

Though she exudes enthusiasm for the task before her, Lisa Lazarus '02 admits she is unfamiliar with many of the issues the University faces. She says she hopes to catch up in the days ahead.

But as one of only two undergraduates who will help make what is likely the University's most important decision of the next decade, Lazarus has little time to prepare for her new role. The search committee will begin meeting within the next few weeks.

"I don't know all of the specifics on everything, maybe because I was away last semester," she said. "I'm looking forward to going through and getting the specifics now. I'm actually planning on reading up on [campus issues] and talking to some of the people who have been more involved in [campus issues]."

During her time at Princeton, Lazarus has served on the Human Values Forum and worked as an Orange Key tour guide. Because she spent last semester studying abroad in Santiago, Chile, she said, "I am sort of getting back into the swing of things now."

Lazarus said she views her unfamiliarity with campus issues as more of an asset than a handicap. "Because I'm not involved in the student government here, I have a different perspective," she said. "As a junior — I have sort of been through the ranks — I know what life is like here at Princeton. And also because I was abroad that semester I have a sort of a different perspective. Being away made me really think about Princeton in a new way."

Amy Bates '01, who served with Lazarus on the Human Values Forum, said she is one of the more conscientious and hardworking members of the forum. "She was an officer, so she would help begin the discussions and then continue to participate," Bates said.

Lazarus said that she is still deciding what traits she will seek in the next president. "There are a number of important issues. I don't know if right now I have enough of a background to say which one [the next president] should focus on," she said, adding that race relations, student body expansion and the future of the alcohol initiative are her top priorities.

"I think that the diversity issue has definitely been brought to the forefront — as it should be — and I think it would be important for the next president to address diversity issues on campus," Lazarus said. "Helping so that everyone could feel welcome on campus and feel like part of the University."

Lazarus said she will look to other members of the committee for leadership in the selection process. "It's important to look for specifics in some ways, but I really feel I need to know more about what the committee is looking for," she said.

USG president PJ Kim '01 chose Lazarus from a pool of about 100 applicants to join him in representing undergraduates. Kim was charged by board of trustees president Robert Rawson '66 to select the second undergraduate member.

Of the almost 100 people who applied to sit on the search committee, 11 were called back for interviews, Kim said. "I wanted to pick someone who would round out the committee. A lot of people who applied are active on campus, but I feel that their voice will be heard anyway," he said. "I think that Lisa understands the areas I may not be as in touch with."

While discussing their respective roles on the committee, Kim's experience on the USG gave him an air of confidence. During conversations, Kim seemed to dominate as Lazarus appeared to take her cues from his words.

Lazarus, however, said she does not believe Kim will overshadow her on the committee. "I'm looking forward to working with PJ. I've enjoyed talking with him in the past and we have a good relationship," she said. "I think that we are both on the committee as equals."

Though the faculty and staff members of the committee will be chosen by votes of those respective groups, Kim said the selection process for the second student representative was fair and well-received by students.

Some students, however, disagree with Kim and said they feel the selection process was biased against male applicants.

Dillon Teachout '01, who was called back for an interview, said she felt that a woman was the most likely choice.

"Before I applied I knew that they were probably going to pick an underclassman and a woman. They picked a woman to balance [Kim] and also to balance the committee, which is mostly men," Teachout said. But, she added, "I can't imagine a vote being more fair. I think it worked out pretty well."

Kim denied that he set out to choose a woman.

"It was really a lot of work — reading almost 100 applications. I could have just picked someone, but I wanted to make the best decision," Kim said. "At the end of the day, Lisa just complemented the committee."