Letters to the Editor

Through USG election, students entrusted Kim to make political choices

Yesterday's staff editorial attacking PJ Kim '01 was not only malicious, but downright offensive.

In a democracy, the electorate does not and cannot make every decision on its own. Instead we elect a representative to make most decisions for us. When we elected Kim USG president, we gave him the job of representing us and making difficult decisions on our behalf. Day in and day out, that is exactly what he does. He works harder than any other student I know on behalf of the interests of everyone in the University community.

The suggestion that Kim's action was self-serving is not only totally unfounded, but hypocritical. When Kim and the USG ran the "Visions of Princeton" project last year, the 'Prince' criticized him by saying, "Soliciting student response is one thing — depending on it is another." (March 30, 2000). Kim solicited response when he asked us to apply for the position on the presidential search committee. He then made an educated executive decision on whom to appoint. If the 'Prince' was truly concerned about the selection process, it could easily have raised the issue before a decision was reached. Instead, the 'Prince' chose to take a cheap shot after the fact.

Beyond that, given the time frame in which we must work to select the next president of the University, Kim made a more educated decision than any frantic election would have resulted in.

Kim's work for the USG is self-sacrifice. If anything is self-serving, it was yesterday's 'Prince' editorial. Dan Winn '01