Letters to the Editor

Princeton police chief clarifies proposed alcohol ordinance

After reading the news article and 'Prince' Commentary in the Sept. 25 issue on an underage drinking ordinance, I write to clarify certain points. As the article correctly states, Gov. Christie Whitman signed into law P.L. 2000, c.33, which grants authority to municipal governing bodies to enact ordinances making it unlawful for persons under the legal age to possess or consume alcoholic beverages on private property. The Princeton Borough Public Safety Committee is in the process of reviewing this issue to determine if enacting such an ordinance in the Borough of Princeton would be appropriate. That determination has not yet been made and the full governing body has not considered the matter at this point.

It should be understood that a violation of a municipal ordinance is a violation of the law. However, it is not an offense that reaches the level of a crime. Violators of municipal ordinances are not taken into custody, as common criminals, and do not have a record of arrest. Generally, they are issued a summons to appear in court to answer the charges. An ordinance of this nature does not give the police authority to enter private property to search for underage drinkers. Municipal ordinances do not supercede the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. Officers will not have unrestricted authority to enter private property to look for underage drinking.

This ordinance will be helpful to the police when attempting to control loud and disruptive teenage parties and other similar gatherings. It provides certain exemptions that include underage persons possessing and consuming while in the presence of and with the permission of a parent, guardian or relative and while at religious events. Exemptions also exist for those in the employ of licensed establishments. Thomas B. Michaud Chief of Police, Princeton Borough