Several University professors voice support for Nader campaign

A number of professors on campus are showing avid support for third-party presidential candidate Ralph Nader '55.

Wilson School professor Richard Falk, politics professor Sheldon Wolin and history professor Arno Mayer all consider the long-shot third-party candidate, who once taught a seminar at Princeton, to be a worthy cause for their advocacy.

Professor Mayer's son, Carl Mayer '81, is running as a third-party candidate in New Jersey's 12th district congressional race. Mayer — a former professor at Hofstra law school — has the support of several University faculty members, such as retired engineering professor Steve Slaby as well as Wolin and Falk .

"I am not very satisfied with either of the two main candidates, particularly in their foreign policy," Falk said.

He added that "a third-party candidate will be a more-meaningful option" for the American people and that Nader will "challenge the Democrats to take a more creative approach" to their politics.

Though Falk has a heavy teaching schedule that prevents him from traveling or participating in "anything that will take [him] away from Princeton," he said he has been "glad to do a few things" to help out the Nader campaign.

He said he also plans on donating funds to Nader and advocating Mayer's congressional campaign.

Mayer said he believes "professors are interested in the truth and in straight-talking campaigns." As a result, that is what he plans to offer.

He believes that University professors want a fair debate between the candidates. Mayer said he is looking for both professors and students to get behind his campaign for Congress.

Wolin, currently in Whitethorn, Calif., said yesterday that he also had intended to play an active part in Nader's campaign but he "ran into some health problems" that prevented him from playing a larger role in the race.

Wolin said, however, he believes Nader's campaign will provide "a chance to bring up issues customarily neglected [by the two main political parties]." In addition, Wolin said he plans to donate to Nader's campaign.

Slaby described Nader as "fresh and new." He said he has supported Nader from the beginning of his campaign, and considers him to be "a model American citizen."

"He is dealing with the real issues, not the PR issues," he said.

Slaby said he believes Nader provides "an opportunity for the American people to elect a human being who is smart, who is honest, who will do great things for this society, things [this society] needs."

Slaby renounced the common sentiment that a vote for Nader is a wasted vote. He said such a vote "begins to establish a third party in the system [which is] what [the system] needs."

"The two party system is cast in stone [in this country] and it better be moved," he added.

Though these professors all share the same political sentiment, they say they have no plans to coalesce into a Princetonian political front. "I was approached as an individual. I haven't talked to anyone else," said Falk, who is on Nader's national steering committee.

Nader's campaign also is receiving much endorsement from students and faculty at other universities. More than 800 college campuses have pro-Nader organizations helping students register to vote and promoting Nader's candidacy.

Tom Atkins, a spokesman for Nader, said "We are getting a lot of support from the academic communities . . . from professors and students alike."

Both Nader and Mayer, regardless of their long-shot status, encourage students and professors to participate in their campaigns and register to vote.

"I am sorry that Nader and I are breaking up the Harvard-Yale football game this fall," Mayer said, "but someone's got to take a stand against Bush and Gore."