Former assistant Quesnelle named new head coach of men's hockey

When Don Cahoon resigned as men's hockey's head coach April 5, Director of Athletics Gary Walters '67 and an advisory committee began a national search for a new coach to lead the program.

Nearly two months later, Walters and the committee returned to the place where they began, handing long-time Tiger assistant Len Quesnelle '88 his first head coaching job.

Quesnelle, an all-Ivy defenseman for the Tigers, remained with the program following graduation and had served as an assistant for the past 12 seasons. He replaces the most successful coach in the program's history in Cahoon, who departed after nine seasons at Princeton's helm. Cahoon accepted the head coaching post at UMass-Amherst last Spring.

"Len ended up being the strong consensus choice by the search advisory committee," Walters said. "He had a lot to do with the prior success of our teams here at Princeton, having been Don Cahoon's right-hand man for roughly 10 years."

"It's a terrific opportunity, not only to coach at Princeton, but to coach at a school that I have some unique ties to," Quesnelle said. "It's a program that I care very much about."

The Tigers have enjoyed some of their more successful seasons in recent years, winning the Eastern College Athletic Conference championship and earning their first NCAA tournament berth in 1997-98.

The Tigers remained a fixture in the national rankings for much of the following year. Last season, Princeton finished 10-16-4, losing in the first round of the ECAC playoffs.

By hiring within the program, Princeton assures itself of a relatively easy transition between coaches. During his tenure as an assistant, Quesnelle has developed relationships with the players in his role as both coach and recruiter. Quesnelle also indicated that his approach would be similar to Cahoon's.

"Obviously I'm happy as a senior because a lot of the intricacies of the program won't be changed, and the boat won't be rocked so much," forward Chris Corrinet said. "I think [Quesnelle would] be the first to tell you he learned a lot from coach Cahoon, but I also think he'll bring some of his own ideas and energy to the program."

"Absolutely he's a good fit," senior forward Ethan Doyle said. "He's been involved in the program. He knows the system. He knows the players. He knows what to expect, and we know what to expect from him. I know he's committed to the success of the program, and everybody on the team knows that."

Joining Quesnelle and returning assistant Mike Bois '97 is new assistant Jim Ward — head coach at Northfield Mount Hermon prep school the past seven years — and Francois Bourbeaux as a volunteer goaltender coach.

For now, Quesnelle hopes that his players will continue working on their conditioning and maintain a positive attitude toward the upcoming season.

Then comes the hard part — maintaining the program's success on the ice and establishing himself as the team's leader on the bench.