Dining points system scores with independent students

The University's dining points system has sky-rocketed in popularity among upperclassmen this year. And according to Director of Dining Services Stu Orefice, the new Frist Campus Center may be playing a large part in this trend.

"It is estimated that we have four to five times as many upperclass students than last year on a points plan, and most of those are eating at Frist," Orefice said.

The current estimate of upperclass students on the points system — about 150 students — dwarfs the 35 who were using points last year at this time. Most upperclassmen on the points plan are independents, according to Orefice.

But meanwhile, Brown co-op, formed by upperclass students to ease the financial and time-consuming burden of cooking for oneself, is suffering.

Brown, which usually has a maximum membership of 25 and a waiting list, has only 18 members. The co-op's usual system — which includes three members cooking dinner each night of the week — has been modified to cope with the shortages. Now two people cook each night, and the co-op's Sunday brunch has been canceled.

Brown's treasurer, Macauley Peterson '01, emphasized that the co-op's situation is not dire. Nevertheless, he noted, "It functions better if we have 25."

Peterson said Brown's membership numbers are small for several reasons. Eighteen seniors in the co-op graduated last year, he said. In addition, a few members dropped out this year for personal reasons.

Though he said he cannot be sure Frist is not a factor in the member attrition, Peterson said no one cited the campus center as a reason for leaving. "Frist doesn't seem like a whole lot of choices . . . we have variety as an advantage," he said.

Peterson said he is confident that some publicity will raise Brown's membership to an acceptable level.

The 2 Dickinson co-op has had no such membership problems, according to member Daniel Weiss '01. Though it suffered from low membership last year, the vegetarian co-op rebounded, filling all 40 spots this year. It even has a waiting list of three or four people, Weiss said.

"You can't tell at the beginning of the year how things will turn out. Last year we started with 40 [members] and ended up with 31," Weiss said. "There's a good atmosphere right now, though, so it looks like people will stay."