The nation calls, and Princeton answers

One of the University's most oft-quoted sayings is "Princeton in the nation's service." But it is more than just a slogan. The University has had a long tradition of producing influential and powerful government figures.

Over the years, Princeton has produced two U.S. presidents, two vice presidents, eight secretaries of state, a secretary of defense, 85 senators and 55 governors.

Founding fathers

Two alumni signed the Declaration of Independence, and nine served as delegates to the Constitutional Convention. Among the founding fathers who studied at Princeton were James Madison 1771, Aaron Burr 1772 and Henry Lee 1773.

Madison later became the first alumnus to serve as U.S. president. Burr, Adlai Stevenson '22 and socialist Norman Thomas '05 head the list of "near misses."

Woodrow Wilson 1879 may be Princeton's most distinguished political graduate. He served two terms as president after holding the positions of governor of New Jersey and president of the University.

This year, three more Princetonians sought to follow in Wilson and Madison's footsteps by becoming the third Princetonian to occupy the White House.

Bill Bradley '65, one of Princeton's most famous alumni, won two NBA championships with the New York Knicks and then served as a Democratic senator from New Jersey for 18 years. After a hard-fought but ill-fated run for the Democratic nomination, Bradley withdrew in March and endorsed Vice President Al Gore.

On the Republican side, publishing giant Steve Forbes '70 also made a run, but withdrew in late March.

Ralph Nader '55 is the only surviving Princetonian presidential candidate. He is seeking the Green Party nomination.

The Clinton alumni

Even though there hasn't been a president from Princeton in 80 years, there has been no shortage of alumni who have influenced events on Pennsylvania Avenue.

In the Clinton administration, three alumni have held high-ranking White House positions: Michael McCurry '76 was White House press secretary, University economics professor Alan Blinder '67 was on Clinton's Council of Economic Advisers and Bruce Reed '82 is deputy assistant to the president for domestic policy.

Three years ago, former National Security Adviser Anthony Lake GS '74 withdrew from the confirmation process for CIA director.

Numerous Princetonians held influential positions during the Bush and Reagan administrations. James Baker '52 was secretary of state under President George Bush and ran Bush's unsuccessful re-election campaign in 1992.

Three alumni held cabinet-level positions during Ronald Reagan's two terms in the White House: Secretary of State George Shultz '42, Secretary of Defense Frank Carlucci '52 and Baker. Reagan's Environmental Protection Agency administrator was also a Princetonian, William Ruckelshaus '55.

Murray Weidenbaum GS '56 wielded considerable power on Reagan's Council of Economic Advisers until his resignation in 1983.

Hodding Carter '57 served as President Jimmy Carter's State Department spokesman during the Iran hostage crisis, and Michael Blumenthal GS '56 filled the post of treasury secretary.

Appointed by Carter, Paul Volcker '49, the former chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, was one of the most powerful and influential economists during his tenure and, up until last year, was a full professor in the Wilson School.

President Gerald Ford also stocked his cabinet with Princetonians, including Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld '54 and CIA director William Colby '49.

Princeton in Congress

Princetonians have traditionally filled the halls of both the Senate and the House of Representatives. Christopher "Kit" Bond '60, R-Mo., and Paul Sarbanes '54, D-Md., are both senators who have served multiple terms. Nashville physician William Frist '74, R-Tenn., joined them three years ago, and his family donated the money for the soon-to-be-completed Frist Campus Center last year.

Governors connection

The former governor of New Jersey, Thomas Kean '57, is also an alumnus. Current New Jersey Gov. Christie Whitman is not an alumna, but she has strong ties to the University: Her brother and father both went here. Former Delaware Gov. Pierre DuPont '56 was a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination in 1988.

On the international level, Queen Noor of Jordan, born Lisa Halaby, is a member of the Class of 1974. In 1998, her husband King Hussein died, but Noor — who spoke at baccalaureate this year — retains much of her influence in Jordanian society.