Letters to the Editor

Frist Campus Center will offer a number of upperclass meal options

I would like to provide the following clarification to the opinion piece in the May 10 'Prince' regarding future meal plan options in the Frist Campus Center.

Liriel Higa '02's opinion article misunderstands the plans for meal options at the Frist Campus Center. There will be a number of different meal plans available for upperclassmen and graduate students. Creating additional dining options for students at Princeton is one among the many exciting objectives of the campus center. Paul Breitman Director, Frist Campus Center

Burden for sweatshop reform falls on administrators, not students

The article in the May 8 'Prince' titled "A Movement Declawed" missed the point. The issue is not why students this year didn't stage more sit-ins, more rallies and more protests.

The real question is why Princeton's administrators and Board of Trustees have not followed the lead of dozens of other universities — including Brown, Cornell, New York University, University of Wisconsin, Georgetown and 45 others — in joining the only monitoring body that the perpetrators of sweatshop labor fear. It is no coincidence that Nike pulled donations from the universities of Oregon and Michigan when they joined the Workers' Rights Consortium, and made few waves when these same universities joined the Fair Labor Association.

It is clearly the responsibility of those in power to answer for these failures: The students have already gone far beyond their call of duty. David Tannenbaum '01

Forbes fire alarm activated Public Safety monitors, but response was unacceptable

This is in response to the May 8 letter in the 'Prince' regarding a fire alarm at Forbes College.

The electronic alarm system provided a timely notice to Public Safety of an alarm activation at Forbes. Our response, however, was not as timely and did not comply with departmental guidelines. The response to this incident was less than adequate and unacceptable.

We want to provide assurance that monitoring of this state-of-the-art system and responding to alarms on campus is a high priority for Public Safety. We are taking measures to ensure that this does not happen again. Barry Weiser Crime Prevention Specialist Department of Public Safety