Why 'YES!' may not be enough

Deciding on a college often means lists of pros and cons, exhaustive campus visits and long conversations with guidance counselors. And for a minority, an assortment of additional factors are often considered, ranging from social options to curriculum choices.

But Ashley Adams '02 made her final decision in a few seconds, picking names out of a hat filled with prestigious colleges.

And Princeton lucked out.

"If I had been more systematic about it, I would have given more weight to the fact that other Ivy League schools, like Harvard, actually sent a student — an African-American — to talk to our high school," Adams said, adding that she did not attend a predominantly African-American school. "Princeton did none of this."

"Also, college counselors at many of the public schools in my town do not recommend even the most talented minority students apply to Princeton, because it hasn't made an effort to pull in minority students," Adams added.

Adams, now an officer at the Third World Center, is not alone. Other minority group leaders said at a TWC governance board meeting last night that they are concerned about the University's ability to appeal to minority prospective students. They also said they believe lack of cooperation among the groups may be limiting their ability to attract new members.

And at Princeton — where trustees have pledged to actively seek additional minority representation in the student body soon to be expanded by 500 — such a perception could be a significant obstacle.

Governance board chair Andria Boateng '02 said she wants to see increased cooperation between ethnic student groups on campus. "How can we work together, what can we do?" she asked. "It's all about having a collaborative effort."

Karthick Ramakrishnan GS, head of Graduate Students for Local Activism, said he is concerned the University has not adequately informed prospective students about minority issues on campus. He suggested greater minority involvement in the "student ambassador" program, which sends University students to high schools to help recruit new applicants.

"The administration says they want more minority students, but to show they're committed, they need to get students to go talk — not just send a paper brochure," Ramakrishnan said, adding that he worries the University does not have the resources to visit schools in poorer neighborhoods that do not usually send students to Princeton.

By increasing the size of the student body, the trustees hope to increase the proportion of minority students on campus. Students at the meeting noted that current minority students would be most effective agents in such a recruiting effort, but only if they themselves were pleased with their experiences at Princeton.

"Minority students will want to help if they are already happy here," Adams said. "If minority students don't think Princeton is that great, they are not going to want to get more people to come."

Many student group presidents cited the lack of funding for student organizations as a major hindrance in their effort to attract new members.

"Even if you have a solid organization that has done good things in the past, they don't get the benefit of the doubt," Ramakrishnan said.

Aime Scott '01, USG student groups liason, said there are two proposals in the incipient stages that would increase funding for student groups. If implemented, student groups could receive funds in advance for events that take place each year on campus.

The students also cited lack of communication between organized ethnic groups on campus — which limits their effectiveness.

"Even with as small a campus as we have, there is no communication," Lauren Flemister '02 noted. "Part of the problem is that there are ethnic groups within other groups, like eating clubs and residential colleges."

Ramakrishnan said that for the University to provide a more rewarding academic experience for minority students, cooperation with existing minority students groups will be essential. "It is great to try to get students to come here," he said, "but it is also important what happens to them once they get here."