W. tennis whitewashes visiting Scarlet Knights

In a midweek battle for state supremacy, the women's tennis team easily dispatched Rutgers yesterday afternoon by a score of 9-0. The match — originally scheduled to take place at Lenz Tennis Center — was moved indoors to Jadwin Gym due to windy conditions.

Freshman No. 1 Kavitha Krisnamurthy continued her streak of dominance this season, trouncing her Scarlet Knight counterpart by a score of 6-0, 6-0. This victory set the tone for the entire match.

Senior No. 2 Jyotsna Vasisht easily disposed of her opponent in straight sets — 6-2, 6-2. Three other Princeton players also won in straight sets — sophomore No. 3 Priya Bhupathi, sophomore No. 4 Kristi Watson and freshman No. 6 Sam Gingold.

The only Tiger to drop a set on the afternoon was sophomore No. 5 Lida Le. Despite a first-set victory, Le struggled in the second, losing it by a score of 3-6. The sophomore recovered in the final set, however, and was able to take the match two sets to one.

"I think we were a lot more consistent," Gingold said of the Princeton performance. "We were definitely agressive."

In doubles action, all three Tiger pairs swept through their Rutgers' adversaries with relative ease.

The No. 1 team of Vasisht and Watson cruised by the Scarlet Knights' top pair by a count of 8-3, while the No. 3 duo of sophomore Elizabeth Boothby and Gingold won by a score of 8-2.

In a slightly more contested affair, the doubles team of Bhupathi and freshman Cindy Hah came back from a 6-2 deficit to claim the match 9-7.

In addition to extending the Tigers' record to an impressive 13-2, Wednesday's match also served as a good warmup going into their upcoming showdown with Ivy rival Harvard.

"It was good to have a win against Rutgers before Harvard," Gingold said. "It made us more match-prepared and mentally tough going into Friday's match."