The results are in: USG announces election winners

Incumbent U-Council chair Teddy Nemeroff '01, along with class officers and nine other U-Councilors, were elected yesterday in races that drew 1,115 voters.

New to the U-Council are Rolando Amaya '03, Jacob Glass '03, West Owens '03, Ryan Salvatore '02, Bob Studley '03 and Tom Vessella '01. Sitting U-Council members Jim DeRose '01, Adam Dressner '02 and F. Dok Harris '01 were reelected.

In the only contested class officer races, the freshman class elected Catherine Farmer '03 president, replacing incumbent Clark Webb '03. Laura Dannen '03 and Olivier Kamanda '03 will compete in a runoff election to become vice president. Ashley Frankson '03 was elected treasurer, Luck Doochrita '03 secretary and, in an uncontested race, Courtney Coleman '03 social chair.

The newly elected U-Councilors outlined different goals for their upcoming terms — ranging from Amaya's aim of liberalizing University policy on keeping pets to Glass' dream of breakfasts delivered to students' rooms each morning to Dressner's pledge to publish a U-Council newsletter.

Salvatore said he would try to "have the administration consider student input before making decisions," a theme many candidates sounded in campaigning. He also said he plans to oppose the Wythes committee recommendation to increase the size of the student body by 500 students.

Citing an example of the University's already strained academic and social resources, Salvatore said, "I don't think it is acceptable for the economics department not to give a full professor for JP advising."

Nemeroff said he would continue expanding the Sustained Dialogues on Race Relations, which he hopes will become a self-perpetuating discussion of campus discrimination and race issues. He also said he hopes to formalize USG advocacy on behalf of individual student groups, a practice which he said now only occurs informally.

Sophomore class officers were chosen in uncontested races. Ben Shopsin '02 was elected president, Erik Zwicker '02 vice president, Uma Seshamani '02 treasurer, Loran Gutt '02 secretary and Yasmin Rahim '02 social chair.

In five uncontested races, the junior class reelected president Justin Browne '01, vice president Anne Gordon '01, treasurer Brandon Miller '01, secretary Jen Adams '01 and social chair Stephen Kruse '01.