Shops value students for more than their money

University students often venture into the town that lies beyond FitzRandolph Gate, whether to purchase shampoo or to treat themselves to an ice cream cone. But while the town becomes a part of their lives, students often fail to realize that they are equally a part of the life of the town.

Princeton residents and students will unite to celebrate these "town-gown" relations at the annual Communiversity festival tomorrow.

"We love our students," said Barbara Rash, who has worked in Princeton for 15 years as co-owner of La Jolie beauty salon. "We have a lot of regulars. They stay the whole four years, sometimes five. They're educated consumers."

At The Flower Market, which has been in business for 17 years, co-owner Ellie Wadsworth said she likes to get to know students who patronize the shop, usually to buy boutonnieres and corsages for formals. "We like it when they come in as freshmen. We train them about things like how long in advance they have to come [to order flowers] for Houseparties," she said, smiling.

Wadsworth, who owns the store with her husband, said Houseparties weekend is one of the most chaotic times of the year. "The deli around the corner brings us lunch," she said.

Sometimes, students who have forgotten to order a boutonniere come in at the last minute in hopes of purchasing one. "We tell them to come back at three or four in the morning, if there are extras," she said.

Though Wadsworth enjoys her store's relationship with University students, she said it is difficult to adhere to the University's schedule. "We have to operate on the University calendar. Houseparties weekend is the same weekend as our son's communion," she said. "Family things have to get put to the side. We like to joke that we wish someone asked us before they set the calendar."

Eateries

Princeton eateries also experience fluctuations in student business, especially when the dining halls and eating clubs are closed during University vacations. Sue Trombino, co-manager of Einstein's Bagels, said the store almost doubles its bagel production during those busy times.

Students most often visit Einstein's in the afternoons and on weekends, Trombino said. "Usually we're busy until the door shuts," she said. Some of the more popular items among students are the Tasty Turkey, Veg Out and barbeque chicken sandwiches, she noted.

Tom Janick, owner of Craft Cleaners, has encountered a side of University students that other stores do not usually see. Fraternity members lived in two Olden St. houses behind his store before the property was sold to the University last summer, and he once found a student lying in the store's parking lot the morning after a party. "We woke him up and sent him home," he said with a chuckle.

Having college students as customers "is always a challenge," Janick said. "We see a lot of funny clothes — funny garments that have been absolutely trashed from hard nights."

"We get girls' gowns that are trampled on or soaked in alcohol. It makes it very difficult for stain removal. Boys bring in khakis, tuxedo shirts, with a mixture of colors — from red to black," he said. "We have a good laugh. It's comical."

"We like to see what they throw at us each year," he said, adding that having students in town makes life entertaining. "Overall, they add to the character of the town."