Letters to the Editor

Shame on 'Prince' for elitist 'At Your Convenience' series

The 'Prince's second installment in the "At Your Convenience" series — chronicling a 'Prince' staff writer's experiences toiling as a convenience store worker at the Wa — in the April 27 edition was an unfortunate example of the kind of thoughtless observations that come across as Ivy League snobbery. The fact that this project was undertaken by the 'Prince' at all signals a certain amount of elitism, as it seems to suggest the oddity of a high and mighty Princeton student working somewhere as blue collar as a convenience store. Otherwise, why would this be an interesting article idea? With such words as "Counter culture" and "different," the article also seems to imply that there is something fundamentally different between Princetonians and the people who work at the Wa, thereby meriting a tell-all expose.

Sadly, though, the only thing that the articles expose is elitism. After describing some of the awful nicknames that Princeton students supposedly use for Wawa workers ("The girl with the hair?" Good one), the article includes an observation that is so obvious it's painful. The article says, "After a closer look behind the scenes at the Wa, these characters develop beyond their labels in situations sometimes serious and often humorous." Well, you don't say! You mean, these people actually have character to them? They're not just mindless workers with no more to them than a name and a characteristic look?

Rather than paying them such backhanded compliments as the article does, we should be thankful to the people who undertake jobs that put them in the line of fire of Princeton students' patronization. Ann Parker '00