Letters to the Editor

Commentary on U-Council was unfair

I am writing in response to the April 27 Daily Princetonian commentary concerning the gender composition of the newly elected undergraduate U-Council. I want to reaffirm to the student body that I have made a personal commitment to the USG always working to ensure that all student interests are fairly represented, regardless of our composition. Our work on improving campus safety and attracting a diverse group of students to the phenomenally successful Indigo Girls concert speaks for itself. Therefore, I am disappointed at the implication that the U-Council and the USG will be indifferent to "women's concerns and ideas."

Though five women did run for the U-Council, I share the 'Prince's frustration that more women weren't elected. But 12 of the 20 candidates who ran for USG class office were also women and they make up a majority of the newly elected class officers. The distribution of female members serving in either the U-Council or class offices unpredictably changes from year to year. The suggestion that women should be encouraged to particularly run for the U-Council is a fair suggestion and something that we will endeavor to do in the next election. However, I am interested in what specific actions the 'Prince' suggests the USG take to redress the "dearth of female victors."

If the 'Prince' is actually serious about encouraging more women U-Councilors, I am disappointed that it didn't express its support for the women candidates before the election in the form of endorsements. This is something the 'Prince' can do that the USG cannot. Instead, the 'Prince' has once again taken the easy route of attacking the USG's credibility after the fact. The insulting cartoon of male members of the U-Council smoking marijuana, drinking alcohol and leering at a "Playboy" magazine is also outrageously unfair.

I agree that a proportional representation of the entire student body is an ideal situation for the USG. However, what we do is more important than who we are. Regardless of the 'Prince's unsubstantiated criticisms to the contrary, the USG will continue to effectively solicit input from and work for the interests of all students. That's what really matters now. PJ Kim '01 USG president