Letters to the Editor

USG open to ideas on social alternatives

I am writing in response to Dana Pasternak '03's April 13 article in the 'Prince' regarding the Trustee Initiative Funding Committee, in which I represent the USG. For the most part, Pasternak provided a balanced view of our progress thus far. However, I would like to address a few of the concerns expressed in the article and to me in person.

We have no intention of jeopardizing established social events on campus. To the contrary, those of us on the committee have sought to collaborate with existing groups — the residential colleges, student organizations and eating clubs — all of whom are vibrant components of the Princeton social scene. A myriad of events — ranging from dances to parties to the Jon Stewart show — have taken place with our assistance. Social alternatives have multiplied since the creation of the fund. Without the resources that we provide, these successful events might have never taken place. Numerous plans are in the works for next year — including performances, cultural events and a collaborative effort with an eating club.

This year was merely the beginning of a process, one that we have pledged to improve consistently. If individuals feel that our efforts are "counterproductive," as one RA remarked, we encourage them to approach us with their concerns — or better yet, approach us with ideas that they have for events. In a sense, our role is one of a facilitator. Students furnish the inspiration and initiative — we take care of the rest. That said, we encourage any organization — be it student group, residential college or eating club — to contact us with questions or suggestions. Joe Wheatley '01 USG Treasurer Member of the Trustee Initiative Funding Committee>