In search of the perfect high heels to become the dancing queen of Houseparties

Formal dress? Check. Semiformal dress? Got it. Boutonniere? Yup. Date? Yes. Sundress in case we actually get spring weather for Lawnparties on Sunday? Got that too.

Shoes? Damn.

I have only two requirements when buying shoes — that they look nice and that I can walk in them. The first is obviously subjective, and I occasionally have tried to convince myself that the second condition is, too. I have tried on several high-heeled shoes in that frame of mind — but after taking a few shaky steps, I am ready to come back down to Earth and put them back on the shelf.

I love wearing heels. Any "fashion expert" — whatever that means — will tell you they boost a girl's leg to its most flattering shape. Even more importantly, I just like being tall. At 5 feet 7 inches, I am already a few inches above the average woman, but I can reach 5 feet 10 inches in a snap with the help of a strappy pair of real heels.

The greatest shoes should go unnoticed by just about everyone — attractive without distracting too much from the rest of the outfit and comfortable enough for the wearer to almost forget she is wearing them.

That's the trouble. Heels have their limitations. If I take on anything more than three inches — and yes, I have tried — every precarious step I take is a calculated risk. (Some girls do indeed have trouble walking and talking at the same time.) In high school, I always tossed my shoes aside to start the pile of cast-off heels at homecoming dances and junior or senior proms.

Even in college, too-high heels would either stick me in the corner all night or force me to lurch along on the arm of a friend trying to retain my balance. It's not that I am uncoordinated — at least, not that uncoordinated. I do manage to play soccer and volleyball without tripping over my own feet. But stilettos are one obstacle I am not sure I will ever conquer.

As far as I can tell there are two kinds of women in this world — those who can wear high heels and those who can't. As much as I would like to call myself the former, I have learned to accept the truth — I am definitely one of the latter. I will never be a movie star, cruise the catwalk or clear that 5-foot 10-inch plateau — and really, I have come to terms with those hard facts of life.

But Houseparties are getting awfully close, and I am looking at two long, consecutive nights in heels. I am not even sure which would be worse — a bad date or six hours in painfully uncomfortable shoes. You always can ditch the date, but you are stuck in those shoes for the whole night.

Oh, I will not be wearing sneakers. Over the years, I have learned to snap up any comfortable heels I can find, and by now I have several pairs I like. I am still hunting down a pair for Friday's formal night, but I am all set for the semiformal on Saturday.

So keep an eye out for me. I will be the one in the blue dress dancing up a storm in comfortable shoes — low heels, perhaps, but sleek nonetheless. Besides, 5 feet 8 inches or 5 feet 9 inches is plenty tall enough for me. Georgia Garthwaite is from Lagunitas, Calif. She can be reached at georgiag@princeton.edu.