Hockey team shocked by Cahoon's departure for UMass

Around 10:30 yesterday morning, members of the men's hockey team received what most considered an unexpected phone call. They were asked to attend a meeting at 1:30 with head coach Don Cahoon and Athletic Director Gary Walters '67.

And for the most part, no one had any idea what they were about to hear — that Cahoon had taken the head coaching job at UMass yesterday morning and would be leaving the Tigers.

"I think everything happened very abruptly," sophomore forward Brad Parsons said. "A couple of us, we might have heard that, or we read in the papers that he was interviewing for the UMass-Amherst job. And I guess when we got our voicemail that we had a meeting today, we all pretty much knew that he was going to be taking that."

For other players, the announcement came as a bit more of a surprise.

"I for one didn't know it was coming," sophomore forward Dave Del Monte said. "We heard today we had a meeting and the three hours between the phone call and the meeting there was a lot of speculation between the players — or the guys I talked to, anyways."

"I don't think any of the guys thought there might have been a possibility that coach was not going to be around next year," junior forward Shane Campbell said. "[Cahoon] went through the spring training so far, we had the feeling he'd be back, but I guess this opportunity came up."

"A lot of guys heard rumors about UMass, but I didn't really pay attention and hadn't been following them," sophomore netminder Dave Stathos said. "I think it was as much as a surprise for us as it was for him. He had an offer and had to make a decision."

Cahoon met with UMass personnel Monday and was essentially given 24 hours to decide on their offer. He chose to accept the vacant head coaching position yesterday morning, and a meeting was called to tell the players.

With Walters present, Cahoon explained his decision to the Tigers, who responded understandingly. All members of the team acknowledged the immense impact Cahoon has had on the program.

"He laid it on the table and said [the decision] was agonizing," Del Monte said. "He loves Princeton — the nine years he's been here — and since he's been here he's changed the program for the better."

"Coach was pretty honest with us," Stathos agreed. "We owe him more than he owes us."

"I realize that it was a very difficult decision for him," Campbell said. "He came to Princeton when the program wasn't very good and he built it basically from the ground up and I know for sure that he's probably pretty proud of what he's done here at Princeton."

The players were also sympathetic towards Cahoon's desire to be nearer to his family in Boston.

"It's closer to his house and I guess it's just a better deal for him and his family," Parsons said. "We can't really blame him."

Even as the national search commences for a replacement, the players will still feel the effects of the absence.

"I know a lot of guys are going to miss out being coached by him," Campbell said, "because he taught me a lot. I know he's taught the guys in the dress room right now a lot. Whoever fills his shoes has some big shoes to fill. I hope that he's happy with his decision and I wish him luck."