Eight isn't enough: Baseball falls to Monmouth in N.J. slugfest

Eight runs and 11 hits: good numbers that usually leave a team satisfied and with a win. Not so for the baseball team yesterday.

When the Tigers traveled to Monmouth to take on the Hawks (12-18), they were outdone at the plate in a 10-8 shootout. Princeton scored in spurts but could not hold off the consistent attack of an opponent that crossed the plate in five of its eight innings.

"Eight runs is acceptable," junior first baseman Andrew Hanson said, "but we should have scored more. Their pitching was a little weak."

The Tigers (11-14 overall, 4-4 Ivy League) started off a little slow — spotting Monmouth six runs in the first two innings — but came back to take the lead before losing their grip in the final two innings.

"We started off a little lackadaisical defensively," Hanson said.

Already down 2-0 in the first and with runners on second and third, Hawk shortstop Lance Koenig sent a ground ball to third. Sophomore Eric Voelker could not complete the play, however, and Koenig loaded the bases on the error.

Sophomore starting pitcher Nick Pappas struck out the next Monmouth batter in what would have been the final out, but Hawk second baseman Pat Poehls followed with a two-RBI single to center field.

Hawk first baseman Brian Moyer furthered the lead to six with a two-run home run the following inning.

The Tigers came back in the third behind successive RBI doubles from junior designated hitter Casey Hildreth and senior catcher Buster Small. Hawk starter Rich Chini pitched himself into a jam, walking junior second baseman Tim Phillips and sophomore left fielder Ryan Achterberg before giving up a single to sophomore shortstop Pat Boran.

Hanson drove in the first Tiger run with a sacrifice fly to center before Hildreth knocked in two more with a double. Not to be outdone, Small followed with a double of his own, driving in Hildreth and bringing the score to 6-4.

The Tigers again loaded the bases in the sixth, on a single by Small, a double off the bat of junior third baseman Sean McNally and a walk given to sophomore center fielder Mark Grayson. Phillips walked to drive in a run and junior left fielder Jon Watterson did the same with a single. The Tigers tied the game with Boran's fielder's choice and took the lead with an RBI single by Hanson.

That would be the end of Princeton's run production for the day, however. Monmouth tied the game the following inning and took the lead and the win in the eighth, knocking around freshman closer David Boehle for two runs.

The Tigers start their Gehrig schedule tomorrow, when they travel to Columbia for two weekend doubleheaders — and four very winnable games.

"Our starting pitching is coming together," Hanson said. "I think we're expecting to go four for four."