Departure of able 'bagelologist' will leave hole in community

From the Nude Olympics to Princeton's first national lacrosse title, Alfred Kahn has been a fixture in Princeton, delivering bagels to the University and the community for nearly 20 years. But after continuing a family tradition that stems back more than three-quarters of a century, Kahn has decided to sell his shop — Abel Bagel, located on Witherspoon Street.

"I really don't want to sell it," said Kahn, who calls himself a "certified bagelologist" and an original townie. "[But] if I don't sell it now, there's nobody capable of taking it over."

Kahn — who said he has one interested local buyer — added, however, that he will not sell the store until someone with the right personality comes along. "He's going to have to be in here himself and not just be an absentee owner," he said. "I want someone who has the same attitude as I do, where if a customer doesn't have enough money, he could bring the money tomorrow."

Both Kahn's father and grandfather grew up in Princeton, and his son David graduated from the University in 1994. "Davey used to deliver bagels to the same clubs that his great-grandfather delivered milk to," Kahn said.

Over the years, Kahn has become a familiar face not only in the community, but at the University as well.

On the night of the Nude Olympics when his son was a sophomore, Kahn handed out pink Valentine's Day bagels while dressed only in a raccoon coat, before running with the football team.

When Princeton's men's lacrosse team won its first national title in 1992, Kahn ran to deliver hot bagels to the Tiger Tenements, property on Olden Street he owned until last summer.

Kahn also supplied a student bagel agency — named "Winn-a-Bagel" after its manager Peter Winn '90 — that sold bagels out of a Winnebago on Prospect Avenue.

Aside from closing for three hours Monday for his father's funeral, Kahn said Abel Bagel has been open 365 days a year since he started the business. "We're open on your birthday, my birthday, Jesus' birthday, Moses' birthday," he said. "We're never closed."

Though his store will remain a bagel shop under its new owners, Kahn said he will be spending more time with his family. Kahn also said he will devote more attention to managing the apartment property he owns, which he wants to make available to University students as off-campus housing.

"Every day has been fun," Kahn said. "There hasn't been one bad day at Abel Bagel."