Campus Episcopal Church hires former executive as new chaplain

The Episcopal Church at Princeton announced this weekend that Steve White will assume the position of Episcopal chaplain beginning in the fall of 2000. White and his wife will move to Procter House, the Episcopal center on campus, after he is ordained at General Theological Seminary in New York City on May 20.

Before attending seminary, White worked in the health care industry for 25 years, eventually becoming vice president of Johnson & Johnson Health Care Systems. During that time, however, White said he knew he was avoiding a call from God to enter the priesthood. "God was very persistent and I ran out of excuses," he said.

Dean of Religious Life Joseph Williamson said he was impressed with White's organization and commitment to his faith.

"In addition to his ability to work as a counselor, he has good administrative skills because of his work at Johnson & Johnson," Williamson said. "He has a long-time interest in religious life, and he brings that interest and commitment to Princeton."

ECP search committee member Stanford Adams '00 also said White is uniquely qualified for the job. "He is really compassionate and understands what it's like to be a Christian in an academic environment," he said. "He's interested in engaging world issues, and he's a fun guy to be around."