Weekend Wrap-Up

Freshman phenom Eva Petschnigg added yet another impressive accomplishment to her Princeton resume this weekend by winning the women's foil individual crown at the NCAA Fencing Championships in Palo Alto, Ca.

Petschnigg defeated top-seeded Monique de Bruin of Stanford, 15-13, in the final to complete a weekend where she won 20 of her 25 total bouts.

After going 18-5 in round-robin competition — good for third place overall — Petschnigg moved on to the national semifinal, where she defeated No. 2 seed Charlotte Walker of Penn State, 15-14. Petschnigg then went on to top de Bruin, who had beaten her 5-4 on the first day of round-robin competition.

Led by Petschnigg's stellar effort, the Tigers totaled 77 points on the weekend — good for third place overall behind St. John's (78) and defending national champion Penn St. (101).

(See Tuesday's 'Prince' for complete coverage.)

Women's Water Polo

Princeton continued its dominance of the Mid-Atlantic division of the Collegiate Water Polo Association this weekend with three easy victories in league action Saturday in Washington, D.C. The Tigers beat Maryland in the day's first game, 16-3, only to follow it up with a 19-3 rout of James Madison and a 19-7 pounding of host George Washington. Princeton capped off the weekend with a convincing 8-2 win Sunday over Villanova, giving the women a perfect 8-0 league record going into next weekend's ECAC Championships, which will be held at familiar DeNunzio Pool.

Men's Volleyball

The playoff hopes of the men's volleyball team continued to take a hit as Princeton fell to NCAA Division III power Juniata in straight games Friday night in Huntingdon, Pa. The Tigers — playing in their first match since Mar. 4 — struggled to find their rhythm against the Eagles, who claimed a 15-11, 15-9, 15-7 victory that took just over an hour to finish. Senior middle Tom Dowd led Princeton with seven kills, while senior setter Jason Morrow contributed 30 assists and 11 digs in a losing effort.