U-Council debates problems of potential student body increase

At yesterday's U-Council meeting, administrators — led by Provost Jeremiah Ostriker — addressed a variety of issues raised by the Wythes committee's recommendation to increase the size of the student body by 500.

The primary concern raised by U-Council members was that the student increase would limit professors' ability to give students individual attention. But Ostriker assured the council that the administration's stated goal of limiting precept size to 12 students would remain in place.

Vice President for Finance and Administration Richard Spies GS '72 said the number of staff members involved in student life — such as custodians — would grow proportionately with the number of students.

Dean of the Faculty Joseph Taylor added that the potential increase in student body size — coupled with the Wythes committee's recommendation that faculty growth not accelerate — would force faculty members to teach more precepts.

"I think it's an idea that has grown and developed over time," Vice President and Secretary Thomas Wright '62 said of the proposed increase.

Students also argued that the University should look into other topics left unaddressed by the Wythes committee.

Ostriker argued that the Wythes committee's plan would allow the University to diversify the undergraduate population without detracting from the number of students in any other groups.

Faculty age

Taylor spoke on the increase in the average age of professors and the University's efforts to address the issue. But one student raised a concern about how the redistribution of the faculty would be decided.

"It's not simple to quantify it in any one, two or three-dimensional way," Taylor said. He noted that the University would need to take into account class enrollment and the number of concentrators in different departments, among other factors.

As far as diversifying the faculty, Taylor said, "There have been efforts in place over recent years aimed at this department. We can double and redouble our efforts in this direction."

In addition, Dean of the Graduate School John Wilson discussed the new English proficiency guidelines being proposed for TAs and preceptors.

Ostriker said the proposal essentially was to mandate that graduate students be given the resources to become more proficient in the English language. Wilson added that those students who cannot teach as a result of the new restrictions will be provided with other means of financial support.

During the meeting, the U-Council also discussed distance learning, Firestone library and administrative performance reviews.