Students work to continue summer service programs in Latin America

Since 1994, Princeton students have traveled to Belize for the summer — teaching adult education classes, coordinating summer camps and beautifying national parks — to help some of Latin America's less fortunate.

But last spring, when the University reduced financial support for the trip, one student and two alumni mobilized to form Princeton Programs with the International Community to ensure that the service program they had enjoyed would continue.

"[The trip] didn't fit the University's strict educational mission and they wanted to alter some things," said PPIC co-founder and past-president Aaron Michels '00 of the University's decision that prompted him, Sarah Betrucci '98 and Chad Oliver '98 to find other ways to support the Belize trips.

According to Associate Dean of Religious Life Sue Anne Steffey Morrow, the University's office of risk management decided the trips to Belize were "not sufficiently in line with the University's primary mission of the education of its students to be a worthy risk."

PPIC — a nonprofit organization that thrives on tax-deductible donations from foundations and individuals — funds nine-week summer trips to Belize's St. Margaret's Village and a 15-month fellowship including time both in Belize and Princeton.

"The purpose of the organization is to promote experiential education, while providing services to international communities who request them," said Becca Coughlin '99, who went to Belize to explore her interest in eco-tourism.

Coughlin also noted that students participate in the Belize trip for a variety of reasons and enjoy varied benefits from their stay abroad. "People's interests are across the board — in geology, Latin-American studies, Spanish and volunteering," she said.

Branching out

With such widespread success in Belize, PPIC is looking to starting programs in other countries as well.

"If a student has an idea about a break trip and is willing to work for it, they can fund raise and organize the trip," said PPIC president Kathleen Daffan '01, who added that the Belize trip she took the summer after her freshman year was the "kind of experience everyone should have."

Likewise, the organization seeks to involve students in all aspects of the program. It recently has adopted a spring break project in Mexico initiated by Kush Parmar '02 and Sheila Parmar '01, and is also considering a proposal for a program in Africa.

"The important thing is that PPIC is student-initiated and student-run," said Morrow, who is a PPIC board member. "Students and young alumni are the fuel, energy and entrepreneurs behind PPIC."

The only thing that threatens to affect this dynamic drive is a lack of sufficient funds, said Carrie Gordon, director of Princeton in Asia and also a PPIC board member.

"Whoever contributes money is getting a lot for their dollar," she said. "PPIC is one of the most exciting organizations I've seen at Princeton."