Men's volleyball playoff hopes in doubt after loss

To say that the men's volleyball team is on the bubble would be an understatement.

The Tigers (7-9 overall, 3-6 Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association) were not so much dominated by Juniata (8-11, 4-7) on Friday in Huntingdon Pa. as they were beaten by their own mistakes. Princeton committed an equal number of errors and kills on the night, adding up to an attack percentage of .000.

"We didn't play very well," senior setter Jason Morrow said. "We were just too error-prone."

Morrow recorded only 30 assists on the night — less than half his usual tally for a match. The captain averages 16.17 assists per game for the season. Senior Tom Dowd and freshman Dennis Alshuler, both middles, led the team with seven kills apiece. Alshuler also committed 11 errors in the match.

The Eagles controlled the first game of the match, easily defeating Princeton, 15-1. The Tigers would get no closer than a 15-9 loss in the second game. The third and final game of the match ended in a 15-7 win for Juniata, rounding out the season sweep for the Eagles.

Playoff race

This loss changes the playoff picture in the Tait Division of the EIVA considerably. Before the match, Princeton held a slight edge over Juniata for the sixth and final playoff spot. At the time the Tigers needed to win only two of their remaining matches to claim a spot in the postseason and begin a possible run toward the NCAA Tournament.

"Now we have to win three of our next four to make the playoffs," Morrow said.

Winning that many matches to close out the season may prove to be too much for a Princeton team that has only one win on the season against any of its remaining opponents. The Tigers defeated NJIT — a team they will play again tonight — 3-1, Feb. 15.

If Princeton has any advantages in the final stretch of the season, it is that after tonight's trip to Newark to face NJIT, the remainder of the Tigers' matches will be played in the friendly confines of Dillon Gym. The team has played stronger at home than on the road over the course of the season, winning four of its six home contests. The Tigers are only 3-7 on the road this year.

Thursday night, Princeton will return home to face Concordia before hosting the Ivy League Tournament all day Saturday.

"[Concordia] is kind of streaky," Morrow said. The senior captain went on to add, however, that they are "probably one of the top two or three teams back here."