Denouncing D-Bar restrictions, grad students march on Nassau Hall

A throng of more than 50 graduate students filed into Nassau Hall yesterday afternoon to demand meetings with graduate school deans to discuss the restrictions recently implemented at the D-Bar.

Last week, both graduate student D-Bar managers — known as bar czars — resigned their positions and closed the facility to protest the University's decision to limit D-Bar access to students living in the Graduate College and their guests.

Before descending on Nassau Hall, graduate students gathered in McCosh 46 to discuss a proposal by the Graduate College House Committee and the graduate school administration to incrementally increase the number of graduate students with access to the D-Bar.

House Committee chair Adrian Banner GS explained that the plan calls for raising the number of graduate students with access to the bar by 200 on April 16 and 100 on May 16. By Sept. 1, all graduate students would have access to the bar, he said.

Many graduate students spoke out against accepting the proposal, but Banner advised them to support the compromise with the University.

Even so, he expressed frustration with the entire episode. "[The administrators] move on a geological time scale," he said. "I can assure you the deans cannot justify what they have done. My goal was to find out what the deans wanted and to try to convince them they were wrong. I was unable to do this. I tried and tried and tried."

'Not ideal'

Banner said the proposal is not ideal but is "practically close to what we want." He encouraged the students to adopt the proposal to reopen the bar.

In an informal vote, only a handful of graduate students voted to accept the incremental proposal.

Former Bar Czar Amlan Majumdar GS said in an interview that he did not believe the bar should be reopened until the University offered D-Bar access to all graduate students. "I think it's discrimination against grad students," he said. "It's a slap in the face."

Majumdar added that he was pleased so many graduate students had taken an interest in the issue. "I've never seen so many graduate students together other than at the D-Bar," he said.

In order to gain leverage over the administration, others at the meeting said they should consider telling prospective graduate students about the University's limited social scene — which they argue has been made worse by the D-Bar's closing. "We're going to start telling prospectives the whole story, the truth about what Princeton is like," said Richard Allen, who ran the D-Bar several years ago.

Karthick Ramakrishnan GS, who helped mediate the gathering, said a protest by the graduate students would show more activism "than Princeton has seen in a long time." But, he added, "It's kind of sad it has to be over beer."

"Princeton graduate students feel insulted, like they're being treated like children," he added.

More frustrations

Several students said their frustrations with the administration stem from more than just the new D-Bar restrictions. "This is an opportunity for the graduate students to stand up for once and say something. We should use this energy," said D-Bar employee Kamal Khouri GS.

Some graduate students said they did not trust the administration to honor the terms of the proposal for an incremental increase in D-Bar access.

"A lot of them felt the deans would scuttle the whole deal if there was one infraction," Ramakrishnan said.

Nevertheless, Banner said he believed the graduate students should accept the new proposal. "There's no guarantee that they won't shut the bar down, but I'm not sure they want to close the bar. I think they're frustrated by the reports from Public Safety [that involve underage drinking]," he said.

Banner added that he was displeased with how the administration has handled the D-Bar issue and called for continued graduate student support. "The place is a dump. It's sad to say we have to fight for it. But we're getting the shaft here. We've got to fight." he said. "Basically, they're trying to bleed it to death."