'A new era': Young men's lax looks to bring back national title

During the 1990s, the men's lacrosse team enjoyed a decade of dominance. Five national championships, seven Ivy League titles, 10 NCAA tournament appearances. All of that, however, is now in the past.

When the 2000 season commences tomorrow at Johns Hopkins it will mark the beginning of "a new era, a new decade, a new mentality," in the words of head coach Bill Tierney.

Last year, for the first time since 1995, Princeton lost its last game of the season — a 15-11 loss to Syracuse in the first round of the NCAA tournament. However, due to the graduation of key players, this year's squad differs greatly from its predecessor.

"Last year we were really young on offense and experienced on defense," Tierney said. "This year it's flip-flopped. We're more experienced on attack, [while] our defense lost four starters. I'd rather be young on the defensive end, than on offense."

Returning offense

Carrying the bulk of the load on attack this season will be the potent duo of junior Matt Striebel and sophomore B.J. Prager. In 1999, as first-time starters, the two combined for 36 goals and 30 assists. Striebel will again be called upon to set up Princeton's offense, having led the team with 24 assists last season.

"[Striebel] will have the ball in his stick more than anyone we've had here since Kevin Lowe, who graduated in '94," Tierney said.

As a freshman last season, Prager established himself not only as a starter, but also as one of the premier attackmen in the Ivies. In scoring 25 goals, Prager was a unanimous choice as Ivy League Rookie of the Year, in addition to being a first team All-Ivy selection. A natural goal scorer, Prager found the back of the net on more than 50 percent of his shots in his first season with the Tigers.

Princeton has more experience in the midfield than in any other position. Senior co-captain Josh Sims — a two-time first-team All-American — will again anchor the Tiger middies. Last year Sims defied defenses geared to stop him, leading Princeton with 43 points and four hat tricks.

Fellow senior co-captain Chris Berrier will also be featured on the first midfield line this season. Berrier, who has excelled as a defensive short-stick midfielder over the past two seasons, will have an opportunity to play at both ends of the field this year. Seniors Ryan O'Shaughnessy and Jamie Sullivan, juniors Rob Torti and Matt Bailer — the team's face-off specialist — will also play important roles in the midfield. Junior Ryan Mollett will split time between long stick midfield and close defense.

"We have more good midfielders than we've ever had," Tierney said. "We're deeper than we've ever been."

With the graduation of All-Americans Kurt Lunkenheimer and John Harrington, the Tigers return only one starter — sophomore Chris Farrell — on defense. Juniors Rob Gifford and John Walsh — in addition to Mollett — will have the opportunity to start at close defense. These four will receive competition for playing time from a solid corps of freshmen.

"These young kids are very talented, but it takes time to learn our system," Tierney said.

Junior Trevor Tierney — son of head coach Bill — will be starting in goal for Princeton. Last year Tier-ney started six games, and finished with a .642 save percentage.

Princeton begins its season ranked 4th in the nation behind Virginia, Syracuse and Johns Hopkins, respectively. The Tigers mettle will be tested early on, as its first two games are on the road against the Blue Jays and the defending national champion Cavaliers. Among Ivy teams, Princeton is favored to win its sixth consecutive Ivy crown, but will face strong young teams in Cornell and Brown.

Last year the Tigers fell short of their goal of playing in the NCAA championship game at the end of May. This year's squad has an improved offense, a hard-hitting defense and a deep midfield. If Princeton gets the offensive output it needs to compensate for its green defense, this team could be playing for it all once again.

"We're getting that hunger from not playing on Memorial Day," coach Tierney said. "I think we're ready to play."