Proposed road to offer access to NJ Turnpike

Government officials are studying a proposed road that would provide Princeton residents with direct access to the New Jersey Turnpike.

The road — to be designated Route 92 — would spur from the turnpike at exit 8A near Jamesburg and connect with U.S. Route 1 near Ridge Road. The extension would enable Princeton drivers to bypass Route 1 on northbound trips to the turnpike, cutting as much as 45 minutes off a rush-hour commute.

"It will alleviate congestion on Route 1 and surrounding areas," said LeGina Adams, public relations specialist for the New Jersey Turnpike.

The 6.7-mile, four-lane toll road will provide drivers with an alternative to continuing on Route 1 up to East Brunswick in order to access the turnpike.

University director of community and state affairs Pam Hersh said the University is "certainly in favor" of the extension. "Princeton University has testified numerous times in favor of this road," she said.

But the extension has met opposition from the Environmental Protection Agency and residents along the proposed route.

In addition, Route 92's latest obstacle is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Based on the results of a recent environmental survey, the corps has put the project on hold by calling for the submission of an Environmental Impact Statement, according to the New Jersey Turnpike Authority. An EIS is a document required by the federal Clean Water Act.

The office of the Turnpike Authority expressed disappointment with the corps' decision. "Over the years, the Authority has provided extensive studies on wetland impacts, alternative alignments, traffic impacts and historic property issues," it said in a statement.

Environmental concerns

One of the main objections of environmental groups is that the proposed road will destroy several acres of wetlands along the planned route, according to Hersh.

She noted, however, that the turnpike authority and surrounding municipalities "have done a superb job in mitigating environmental concerns" by extensively studying the proposed project.

"It is an environmental concern not to build it because of traffic congestion," she added.

Because of the bumper-to-bumper traffic prevalent on Route 1, many University students said they would be happy to see the new road constructed.

"On some days traffic on Route 1 is so bad, if there were an easy way to get on the turnpike right there, it would make things a lot better," said Rob Wuertz '02, who takes the turnpike to his home in Paramus, NJ.