Men's squash loses in national semis

Two weeks ago — with the Ivy League championship on the line — the men's squash team pulled off a stunning win over Harvard on the Crimson's home court. It gave Princeton its first outright Ivy title since 1982 and a boost to No. 2 in the country.

This past weekend — with the national team championship in the offing — Harvard got revenge.

At the National Indoor Squash Racquets Association national team tournament this weekend in New Haven, Conn., the Crimson topped Princeton, 6-3, in the tournament semifinals.

In the final round, the Crimson finally fell to the tournament's — and the country's No. 1 — defending national champion Trinity. Princeton fell to the Bantams, 7-2, three weeks ago.

Although Princeton could not pull off a repeat victory over Harvard this weekend, the memory of the epic win remains a touchstone for the careers of the team's seniors.

The Tigers did boast victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, as the brothers Yik, senior Peter and freshman David, both claimed victories over their Crimson foes. Junior Marshall Sebring was also a winner for Princeton at the No. 7 position.

While the team's season ended without a national championship, next weekend will give Princeton players a chance to claim the individual national title.

Peter Yik will head to the tournament — held at Williams College in Williamstown, Mass. — as the defending national champion. With his two wins over Harvard No. 1 Tim Wyant this season and his defeat of Trinity's Marcus Cowie, the elder Yik will be the favorite.

But, as the team found out this weekend, history may add some confidence — but it may also motivate the competition to seek revenge.