Members of the Class of 1969 launch Princeton in Africa

Amidst the celebration of Princeton in Asia's 100th anniversary last year, George Hritz '69 and other alumni involved with the Class of '69 community service project wondered why a Princeton in Africa program did not exist.

Less than a year after Hritz approached Executive Director of Princeton in Asia Carrie Gordon for help in starting the program, Princeton in Africa is preparing for its launch.

According to Hritz, Princeton in Africa eventually will provide community service internships for both graduating seniors and undergraduates.

The University accepted the group's proposal late this fall, African studies program director Jeffrey Herbst said. He added that he expects shortly to publicize three paid year-long internships for graduating seniors to be offered as early as next year.

Alumni and professors met Jan. 11 with University General Counsel Howard Ende to review the bylaws of the fledgling organization and discuss ideas for funding.

Wisdom of experience

Hritz approached Gordon for advice because of her experience directing Princeton in Asia. "I basically explained to him why we have been so successful and warned them of some of the mistakes we have made during the 100 years," Gordon said.

Herbst said University students already have responded positively to the new program. "There is a high demand for international internships around the world, not only in Africa," he said. "There has been a huge interest, but students are often stymied by lack of information."

Like Princeton in Asia, Princeton in Africa will work with nongovernmental organizations to secure positions in Africa. The International Rescue Committee — an NGO that sponsors resettlement, emergency and health programs overseas — has provided internships in Africa in the past and will furnish Princeton in Africa's first three internships, said Hritz, who also serves on the IRC board.

Hritz and Herbst said students who participate likely will be involved in observing conditions in the region and writing. They added that students' primary tasks would include analysis of the current economic and social situation and evaluation of programs in developing African countries. "The IRC likes Princeton students' general background," Hritz said. "After finishing their theses, Princeton people can write and do research."

Cultural impact

Students and professors agreed that participants in Princeton in Africa will have the opportunity to gain an insight into African culture. "Traveling in general teaches you a lot about who you are, but you get a different perspective by working with people," said Renee Hsia '99, who traveled to Rwanda last year.

Hsia visited refugee camps and spent most of her time in the capital city of Kigali drafting proposals and reports for donors. "It was unlike anything I had seen before because, unlike all the museums I had frequented with my parents as a child, there was no glass or rope separating me from the display which, here, was neatly piled rows of skulls and bones," she said.

Music and African studies professor Kofi Agawu also described the tremendous impact an experience like Princeton in Africa could have. "People will find the cultural experience meaningful," he said. "It's a different society than we have here. It's a society of transition with a lot of tradition."