Letters to the Editor

Alum agrees on 'architectural degradation'

I applaud the recent comments of Ryan Salvatore '02 in his Feb. 14 column regarding the ongoing architectural degradation of the campus. My only suggestion to Mr. Salvatore is that he be less apologetic in expressing his views. He displays a wisdom and aesthetic well beyond that of the allegedly educated design community.

I add my voice to Mr. Salvatore's in the hope that Nassau Hall's architectural anarchists will pause to reflect upon their many crimes. I recognize, however, that there is little hope for such inveterate sinners. It may well be that the salvation of the campus requires a spontaneous Act of the Almighty, who may once again sound His mighty trumpet, and cause the wretched walls of the Architectural Abominations to tremble and collapse into dusty heaps of redemptive rubble.

As we wait for the Heavenly Critic to render His final Judgment, let us pray. Stewart Harris '83 Orange Park, Florida

Committee still considering night schedule

As the article, "Faculty considers athletes' proposal for class time shift," in the Feb. 14 'Prince' correctly states, the Faculty Advisory Committee on Athletics recommended a modification to the scheduling of evening classes that would move the start time from 7:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. for undergraduate courses. The proposal was discussed at the December meeting of the Faculty Committee on Classrooms and Schedule with a good deal of sympathy and some skepticism. I don't think Hamin Abdullah '00's observation that "it was sort of just blown off" is a fair characterization of its reception in the committee or its prospects for recommendation to the faculty.

At its December meeting, the committee decided to consider the impact of the proposal on students and faculty more generally. Toward that end, the Chair, Dean Michael Rothschild, has requested opinions of departmental chairs and program directors, as well as instructors of evening courses. We will have those results in a couple of weeks. The committee is also interested in the opinion of the USG's Academics Committee. When it has a better sense of the benefits and drawbacks, the Classrooms and Schedule Committee will make a recommendation. Concern to represent the educational interests of all students should not be confused with foot-dragging. Joseph Greenberg Acting Registrar and Secretary, Faculty Committee on Classrooms and Schedule