Bradley, Forbes make final push before New Hampshire primaries

NASHUA, N.H. — On the eve of the nation's first primary, Democratic candidate Bill Bradley '65 and Republican candidate Steve Forbes '70 scrambled to complete last minute campaigning in rural and scenic New Hampshire.

Bradley spent much of his day continuing his attacks on Al Gore's positions on health care and gun regulations while reaffirming his own integrity and commitment to the American people.

"I want to give a new story for a new century," Bradley said during a rally held in a high school auditorium in Hollis, N.H. " I want to allow Americans to see themselves in that story and get a piece of that prosperity."

The packed event included Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), a former Princeton professor and co-founder of the African-American studies program Cornell West GS '80 and actor Ron Silver, who all gave speeches declaring their support for Bradley.

The more than 250 Bradley supporters at the event carried posters bearing messages such as "It can happen" and "Truth, Integrity and Honesty."

West noted the enthusiasm of all the New Hampshire pro-Bradley sites he had visited, adding that he remains optimistic about Bradley's chances for the Democratic nomination. "It's going to be a tough race. Very tight," he said.

Forbes

Supporter enthusiasm was also present at the Forbes campaign events this weekend. More than 200 supporters came out for a rally at the National Marriott Hotel Sunday afternoon.

Forbes used the event to emphasize his pro-life views and his support of the flat tax. "The federal tax code is a convoluted abomination," he said. "I'm proposing a new birth of freedom."

Those attending the rally praised Forbes' conservative values. "I really like his staunch stance on abortion, said Joseph Mellow, a Republican from Milford, N. H.

His wife, Erin, echoed his sentiments. "We think [Forbes'] flat tax plan will really straighten this country out," she said.