Women's tennis crushes Rutgers, forced inside to complete match

For the women's tennis team, the main goal of the season is to win the Ivy League. With a 4-0 record, Princeton currently stands atop the conference standings. But there is another goal – to win the mythical New Jersey Championship.

With yesterday's 9-0 win over Rutgers at Lenz Tennis Center, Princeton (14-2 overall, 4-0 Ivy League) improved to a perfect 11-0 this spring. Only Seton Hall stands between the Tigers becoming the best in the state.

The Tigers won the first five matches of the contest before rain interrupted, forcing play to the indoor courts in Jadwin Gym. The last time the Tigers started the spring season with a better record was 1973, when Princeton went 12-0.

Quick out of the gate

Sophomore No. 2 Jyotsna Vasisht jumped out to an early lead against Cynthia Coriat, who leads Rutgers with 13 singles wins this season. But after an impressive 6-2 first set win, Vasisht's play dropped off, as she hit several costly unforced errors. She lost the second set 4-6 and held a slim 4-3 lead late in the third.

Coriat had a break point in the following game to tie the set at four when Vasisht hit one of her best shots of the match. Coriat's drop shot return seemed good for a winner, when it landed just a few feet from the net on Vasisht's side. But Vasisht ran the ball down, and hit an even more spectacular drop shot, which Coriat had no chance of returning.

A couple of deuces later, Vasisht had hit her second serve out wide to the left, charged the net and made a perfect volley into the open right side of the court.

From there Vasisht cruised in the last game to take the third set and the match, 6-3.

Near-double bagel

Freshman No. 5 Gailor Large had a strong win over the Scarlet Knight's Jamie Margolis. Large surrendered only one game in 6-1, 6-0 win.

"She played great," head coach Louise Gengler '75 said.

Continuing her own undefeated spring season in singles play, sophomore No. 1 Blair Farr started off strong against Karla Porter, quickly taking the first set, 6-0. Porter's play improved, as she managed to run Farr around the court over the next few games. But Farr adjusted, adding a little more pace to her shots in taking the second set, 6-3.

On a roll

At No. 3, sophomore Amanda Hastings-Phillips won a three-setter over Donna Krouzman. Hastings-Phillips took the first set, 6-2, but dropped the next, 4-6, before cruising in the third, 6-0. Hastings-Phillips hasn't lost a singles match since March 18, when the Tigers beat San Diego State, 5-4.

Sophomore Lili Holodnak moved up one spot in the lineup to No. 4, as junior Olivia Streatfield sat out of the singles due to an injury. But the higher placement made little difference, as Holodnak dispatched Elizabeth O'Donnell, 6-3, 6-1.

Senior No. 6 Stephanie Alpert was in the middle of her match when rain started falling. The match was temporarily stopped, and play was moved to the indoor courts in Jadwin. At the time, Alpert had already taken the first set, but was down 3-2 in the second. When play resumed and she held on for a 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 win.

Inside, Princeton continued its dominance in doubles as well. Junior Kerry Patterson and Farr won, 8-3, at No. 1 doubles, Hastings-Phillips and Large won, 8-5, in the No. 2 spot and Streatfield and freshman Julie Grossman won, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles.