Offense sparks softball as Tigers meet Temple to prepare for Ivies

Good hitting breeds good hitting. If softball's last few games are any indication, the Tigers' hitting should continue to improve.

Tuesday the Tigers (6-6) slaughtered Drexel at 1895 Field, 9-1 and 10-4, with a display of the hitting power that Princeton hopes to exhibit again this weekend when it faces head coach Cindy Cohen's alma mater, Temple, in Philadelphia.

Freshman catcher Devon Keefe will be looked upon to repeat her impressive performance against Drexel, when she went 5for 6 with six RBI and three runs scored in the first game and launched herself into the team lead in hitting with a .368 average. Junior first baseman Wendy Herm went 3 for 7 with two RBI and three runs.

Like colds

"Hitting is contagious," senior infielder Andrea Alary – who went four for six with four runs Tuesday – said. "Great hitting overall encourages each individual to hit better."

Besides a repeat of such an impressive offensive output, Princeton should expect another solid game from junior Lynn Miller, who sports a 7-5 record. The current Ivy League Player of the Week and the MVP of last weekend's Princeton Invitational has thrown 11 complete games in as many starts.

"I'm feeling more confident on the mound and the other pitchers are too," Miller said.

Saturday Princeton will be missing one of its most consistent hitters and fielders due to an injury. Senior outfielder Bevin Keenen had 12 stitches after suffering a cut on her knee Tuesday and is expected back sometime next week. The loss of Keenen will give several younger Tigers, including sophomore Jen McCoy and freshman Carrie Breslin, the chance to step up.

Momentum

Although Temple should not represent a significant challenge for Princeton, the Owls cannot be overlooked and this weekend will be key in maintaining positive momentum going into Ivy play next week.

"We like to approach every game as if we're playing (a top team)," Miller said. "Our main goal is Ivies and this is going to prepare us for what we will face next week."

The games are an excellent opportunity for the Tigers to work out small problems.

"It's a good opportunity to work on little things," Alary said. "We want a completely clean, effortless defense."

Punch and Judy

Cohen is also emphasizing more use of the bunt and the slap to force runs, as well as finishing innings solidly, both at bat and in the field. Offensively, Princeton is continuing to practice hitting the outside pitch to the opposite field.

On the mound, the Tigers are continually concentrating on developing mental toughness, an ability to forget about giving up a hit and concentrate on the next batter.

"You have to wipe the slate clean," Miller said. "That comes from experience."

Most of all, the Tigers are focusing on playing their own brand of softball, described by Herm as "consistent pitching, hard-nosed defense, and aggressive hitting." This involves working as a unit and resisting any attempt by Temple to take Princeton out of their game. The effort to perfect play at all aspects of the game is not an easy goal, but in recent games the Tigers have been displaying the consistency and versatility needed.

"I think we're coming together in a lot of ways," Miller said. "We've been making plays and getting hits."