Led by strong midfield lines, men's lax readies for Brown

An implicit understanding of each other. An innate ability to know what your teammates are thinking.

Call it chemistry. Call it teamwork. Call it what you want.

Whatever it is, a good midfield line must have it. Luckily for the No. 3 men's lacrosse team (4-1 overall, 1-0 Ivy League), Princeton has two such lines.

In lacrosse, defensemen and attackmen usually play only on their respective halves of the field. Since they receive a rest when the ball is on the other side of the field, they do not need to come out of the game frequently for fatigue reasons.

Double duty

Midfielders, on the other hand, play both sides of the field and can tire quickly. As a result, they substitute frequently – and usually while the ball is in play.

As a response to the demands placed on midfielders, most lacrosse coaches have multiple three-man lines which play together in practice and games.

Tiger head coach Bill Tierney has two midfield lines which he puts together each year based on offensive prowess and the all-important "chemistry."

"Offensively, it's got to be second nature before you do what you're trying to do," Tierney said.

Entering the season, the composition of the midfield lines was one of the biggest question marks for the Tigers.

Gone

Two-thirds of the first midfield line from a year ago – Todd Eichelberger '97 and Jason Osier '97 – graduated following the Tigers' undefeated season. They were just two of nine midfielders to leave Princeton with the Class of 1997.

The replacements for Osier and Eichelberger on the first midfield line this season are senior Spencer Baugher and sophomore Josh Sims. They join the lone holdover from last year's first midfield line, junior Lorne Smith.

While Smith struggled early in the season to develop the chemistry he had with his linemates last year, the play of the first line has steadily improved. Sims exploded for four goals and an assist last Saturday against Yale while Smith added a goal and an assist.

With Sims and Smith getting the majority of shots reserved for the midfielders, Baugher has not been called on to score. However, he has made a contribution nonetheless.

"(Baugher) knows his role and he's very unselfish," Tierney said. "He plays good defense and he tries to spread the other team open."

The second midfield line consists of senior captain Mark Whaling, senior Seamus Grooms and the Tigers' best freshman, Rob Torti.

Good combo

The pairing of two veterans and a rookie may seem odd at first glance, but the combination will likely help Torti's development.

"It's nice to put a freshman with a couple of seniors because it doesn't put the weight of the world on his shoulders," Tierney said.

Torti has thus far benefitted from the experience of the two seniors, who, in turn, have benefitted from his impressive play.

Whaling has already scored five goals after netting just three last season.

A midfield line usually stays in the game for one offensive and one defensive sequence – with a few exceptions.

Princeton also substitutes in its best defensive midfielders in certain situations. Sophomore Chris Berrier, junior Gardner Lamotte and freshman Winship Ross are the primary shortstick defensive midfielders, while junior Jason Ferrell and Ted Martell handle the longstick midfield duties.

"If a guy has got a hot hand, you keep him going a little bit," Tierney said. "If a particular guy is having a rough go of it, you can replace him. It depends on who is handling the ball and the flow of the game."

Tierney expects the flow of tomorrow's game against Brown (1-5, 1-0) to be slow, which means the first midfield line may see increased time.

That doesn't bother Smith, an attackman in high school who still hasn't gotten used to subbing in and out.

"I like both offense and defense," Smith said. "As long as you're on the field, you know?"