Men's track to compete at IC4As, use meet to prepare for nationals

They already played and won for their team. Now members of the men's track and field team will get to compete for themselves.

Princeton proved that it was the Ivy League's elite team by winning the Heptagonal title last weekend in the final event of the team's indoor season. Tomorrow and Sunday, qualified members of the squad will have the opportunity to pursue individual honors at Cornell in the IC4A competition.

IC4As is a meet for all Division I and Ivy League athletes who achieved the tournament's qualifying times at some point during the indoor season.

"We have been looking towards this for a long time," senior 800- meter runner Pete Kimball said.

"I'm looking forward to the great competition."

Options

Although several Princeton athletes qualified for the meet, only a handful of them will compete. Many have different sentiments to those of Kimball. Head coach Fred Samara gave all those who qualified the opportunity to go to Ithaca or stay home.

"A lot of people qualified, but chose not to go," junior 55 hurdler Adrian Murray said, himself one of the abstainers. "It's right before midterms, and I want to rest up for the outdoor season. Since it is primarily individual, you're not hurting your team, and there is no pressure to go."

As of yesterday, 10 athletes had committed.

Kimball is one of the team's best hopes for a medal. He is competing in both the individual 800 and the 4x800 relay. He won the Heptagonals in the 800 last week, and the 800 team took silver at IC4As last year. The relay is considered a favorite to win this weekend.

Podium

"We've got a real good shot at winning (the 800 relay)," Kimball said. "We have a better team than last year, and we could definitely beat anyone in the East."

Freshman high jumper Tora Harris is looking to improve his chances to qualify for nationals. He has provisionally qualified, meaning that if some high jumpers above him in the standings cannot go to the NCAA Championships, he will earn a berth. This weekend is his final opportunity to qualify outright.

The Tigers have intentions to build upon what has been a strong season thus far.

"I don't think there will be a letdown from Heps," Kimball said. "The people going up know this is a chance for us to prove ourselves against some great athletes. There's too much personal motivation and good competition for a letdown."