'Freewheels' to bring bikes to Borough for public riding

Princeton-area residents will soon be able to enjoy a convenient new method of wheeling about town.

Beginning in late May, the Greater Mercer County Transportation Management Authority will station bicycles around the Borough for public use, according to TMA Executive Director Sandra Brillhart.

The program, known as "freewheels," is intended "to reduce (traffic) congestion in and around the Borough of Princeton" and "to promote bicycling as an environmentally friendly means of local travel," Brillhart said.

A total of approximately 50 bikes have been obtained through donations from the Borough Police and the University.

According to Associate Director of Public Safety Chuck Nouvel, the University provided about 10 bicycles for the program. The bikes had been abandoned by students and had all been impounded for more than 120 days.

Kopp's Cycle, located on Spring Street, has been responsible for fixing up the donated bikes. According to Kopp's partner Charles Kuhn, repairs on the bikes donated by the Borough Police have been completed. The shop will next refurbish the bicycles from the University.

At Kopp's, the bikes are painted yellow and undergo a "safety check" of breaks, tires and gears, Brillhart said. Most of the bicycles will also be reduced to a single speed.

Baskets will be installed on the front of each bicycle, with signs identifying them as part of the "freewheels" project and outlining the program's regulations, Kuhn said.

Stations will be designated around Princeton for pickup and drop-off of the bicycles. The TMA is currently in the process of choosing the specific areas, which will number between five and 10.

University locations

The location of the three University stations has been determined. Bikes will be available at the Dinky station, at 185 Nassau St., and at Lewis Thomas Laboratory, Nouvel said.

Though the bikes will not be locked up, Nouvel said he did not feel theft would be an issue. The distinctive color and condition of the bikes are likely to make them undesirable, Brillhart said.

As a "nonprofit public-private partnership," the TMA received funding for the "freewheels" project from the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

The program was approved by the Borough Council last July.