Forbes to supply freshmen grants for summer projects

Forbes freshmen who are not sure whether to pursue a perfect tan or a more meritorious goal this summer may now have an incentive to work towards the latter. The residential college will award scholarships worth $500 each to four Forbes residents in the class of 2001 to be used for the pursuit of "outstanding work in their discipline," said former Forbes College Council chair Michael Bosworth '00.

Bosworth, the founder of the project idea, said the scholarships are a constructive answer to the "too few and far between . . . limited and competitive" scholarship opportunities at the University. The newly created Forbes Summer Scholarships will address the apparent lack of opportunities, Bosworth said.

Bosworth said he hopes the winners will represent a diversity of interests, whether their summer plans will benefit "the larger community or be more personal."

"We're taking a holistic approach" toward candidate evaluation, Bosworth said, "whether it's as a government intern, a program of their own, scientific research or academic (purposes) . . . we're not ruling anything out."

'A unique void'

Though the scholarships are limited to Forbes freshmen only, both Bosworth and fellow Forbes College councilor Justin Purnell '00 expressed hope that the first-year program will be successful and serve as a model for the other four residential colleges in the years to come. With the "surprising lack of summer funding, the (residential) colleges could fill a unique void," Bosworth said.

He added that he hopes the scholarships, and how students use them, will result in a "valuable contribution to the Forbes community, and ultimately, hopefully the entire Princeton community."

According to Purnell, the applications for the Forbes Summer Scholarships were modeled on a Student Volunteer Council application format. It requests a statement of purpose, a detailed budget outline and room for listing additional pertinent "materials" for the selection committee to review, Bosworth said. Though he remarked that he does not know how many students will apply, Bosworth said that "a bunch" have already picked up applications.

The exact selection process for the scholarships, which is still in the "discussion" phase, will be twofold, Bosworth said. First, the outgoing sophomore Forbes College council members will select six to 10 finalists. A committee composed of a faculty member, SVC administrator Eleanor Harrison, the Forbes graduate fellow and a sophomore college council member will then interview the finalists. The faculty member, Harrison and the graduate fellow will then make the final selections, Bosworth said.

The funds for the scholarship come from a $1,000 donation from the college council and a matching donation from the general college budget, Bosworth said. Though the college council budget is the source of funds for study breaks and trips, both Bosworth and Purnell said that the scholarships would not adversely affect Forbes residents. On the contrary, commented Bosworth, most students have reacted very positively to the idea of the scholarships. Purnell said that the college budget has simply been "reorganized."

"We'll see what happens," Bosworth said. "When you're giving away money, how bad could it be?"