Time for a change

Debuting in this issue is the first segment in a four-part series portraying minority perspectives of and experiences with the 'Street.' It is a topic that addresses an integral element in the spectrum of race relations at the University, and one that reveals a significant aspect of social life in obvious need of change as the University approaches the millenium.

Black and Hispanic students feel marginalized on Prospect Avenue because the clubs do not cater to a wide variety of groups. Specifically, minorities are turned off by clubs because of the focus on drinking, certain types of music and the image the 'Street' typically promote. To compensate for the lack of appealing social options, minorities frequent places known for their racially diverse atmospheres, such as the Third World Center and Stevenson Hall. The problem perpetuates itself when blacks and Hispanics in future classes follow their example.

The lack of racial diversity on the 'Street' is a glaring exception at a University that prides itself on increased awareness of different people and cultures. Once upon a time the 'Street' was limited to a specific sex. Then it opened its doors to the idea of gender equality in the University's social scene. As part of this ongoing evolution, it is time for the 'Street' to become racially diverse as well. This four-part series will highlight a problem that must be addressed.