Room draw to include Scully Hall; dorm to feature private bathrooms

Starting next fall, upperclassmen may not have to trudge down three flights of stairs just to go to the bathroom.

In room draw '98, upperclass students will have the option of living in the new $23 million dormitory Scully Hall, which boasts connecting singles and doubles with private baths – a perk limited to only a few dorms on campus.

Scheduled to open in fall 1998, Scully expects to hold 163 upperclass students in the sections constructed by that time. One section near Elm Drive and the fourth-floor penthouse that overlooks Poe Field will not be ready for residents at the beginning of the year, according to the 1998 Room Draw Guide.

Scully is the newest dorm since 1927-Clapp, which was built twelve years ago. The construction of Scully required the most money ever spent by the University on a campus dorm, said Dick Spies GS '72, vice president of finance and administration.

A "swing" dorm, Scully will serve as a replacement for Patton Hall, which will undergo an intense facelift, according to housing officials.

Perks

"I would expect it's going to be a popular dorm to live in," said Joseph Plaksa, assistant director of undergraduate housing.

"You guys are worth it," said Spies, who described Scully as one of most luxurious dorms on campus.

"It's got a room for a computer cluster and a laundry room on the first floor – rather than in a dungeon of a basement," Spies quipped in reference to most, if not all, laundry rooms on campus.

Many students look forward to the prospect of a newly-polished dorm without the typical fare of dustballs the gothic dorms may offer.

"I have allergies, so just the fact that it's going to be new and clean will be nice," Rose Kuhn '99 said.

Kuhn said she is hopeful about living with the comfort of private bath space.

"You don't have to walk up five flights of stairs and you don't share a bathroom with twelve other people like I do now," said Kuhn, who lives in Little Hall, a popular upperclass dorm.

Location

Although the location of Scully – adjacent to Lewis Thomas Laboratory and overlooking Poe Field – may seem like a drawback to some students, it actually represents convenience for a sizable number of students, particularly athletes and molecular biology majors.

Many upperclassmen are giving serious thought to Scully since it is not only close to the eating clubs, but also makes life more convenient for students like Jason Pariso '99, a baseball player.

"I love to hit at the batting cages, so it's a quick walk there," Pariso said.

One drawback to Scully will be the ongoing construction that will continue into September. The remaining construction includes painting, covering more floors and installing more toilet fixtures. Normal working hours for this construction will be from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

"There still will be some noise associated with that work, but they may finish by the end of the summer," Plaksa said.