Men's track jumps out from start, captures 11 of 16 firsts in H-Y-Ps

The men's indoor track team did its best impersonation of the men's basketball team last weekend, roaring to an early lead and never looking back in trouncing both Harvard and Yale in Cambridge, Mass.

The Tigers won 11 of the day's 16 events, tallying a final score of 105 points. Harvard and Yale lagged far behind, mustering only 38 and 27 points, respectively.

Like the No. 9 hoops team, the track team relied on both solid teamwork and a multitude of outstanding individual performances to earn the convincing victory.

Double victory

By the time junior Justin Niedzialek won the 1000 meters with a time of two minutes, 29.26 seconds – Niedzialek's second victory of the day – Princeton led both Harvard and Yale, 68-21.

"There was no guarantee he would win the mile," senior Peter Kimball, winner of the 500, said of Niedzialek. "He ran a gutsy race and got the win at the tape."

Sophomore Chris Banks won a four-second victory in the 3000 meters while fellow sophomore John Mack tuned up for defending his indoor Heptagonal title by winning the 400 meters in 49.05.

The Tigers' domination that started in the individual track events carried over to both the relay and field events.

The Tigers narrowly edged out the Crimson's relay team in a close 4x400 with a time of 3:17.09 and afterwards defeated Yale in the 4x800 in 7:44.23.

In the field

The top four finishers in the high jump were all Tigers, led by freshman Tora Harris' leap of seven feet, one and a half inches. Senior Amos Warren ended the day with a first-place long jump of 23-4 1/2.

Princeton achieved similarly dominating results in the pole vault, where juniors Dan Shimooka, Matthew Butler and freshman Jonathan Jessup captured the top three spots.

With more performances like last weekend, the track team should have about as much to worry about as the basketball team does when facing Dartmouth.