Letters to the Editor

On incomplete 'Street' coverage

I am appalled at your poor coverage of Monday's decision by four clubs to hold "dry Bicker." This is the most interesting campus news since the Sovereign Bank robbery, and your reporter would have us believe that T.I. voluntarily went dry because "the clubs want to prevent binge drinking?

As a member of a Bicker club, I heard from our officers some of the reasons why the clubs were going dry for the night. None of those reasons were discovered by the 'Prince.' I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find a single member of a bicker club to tell you the truth. I don't think it has anything to do with concerns for the Bickerees' safety.

I hope it was simply a case of abominable reporting and not editorial bias that prevented the 'Prince' from discussing the somewhat embarrassing incidents that led to the dry bicker. If you aren't interested in publishing the news, why should we read your newspaper? Daniel Feyer '99

Tips for safe drinking

We are writing to encourage students to be mindful of the risks associated with drinking during Bicker and sign-ins. We know from the number of students treated at McCosh Health Center for alcohol intoxication that excessive drinking presents a real threat to the safety of our students. It takes only one student being injured as a result of intoxication to remind us how close tragedy can be. You may remember the recent alcohol-induced deaths of students at MIT and LSU. These are all too clear reminders of the dangers, and how easy it is to feel invulnerable when caught up in a celebration.

As you participate in Bicker and sign-ins, please remember that there are many students who chose not to drink. If you, too, decided that you would rather not drink, you will be in good company. If you decide to drink, please keep these guidelines in mind: 1) EAT A SUBSTANTIAL MEAL and drink water or other nonalcoholic beverages early in the evening. Drinking coffee, eating or taking a cold shower will not help you sober up. 2) LIMIT YOURSELF TO ONE DRINK PER HOUR. It is dangerous to consume large amounts of alcohol in a short time because it is impossible for your body to safely metabolize the alcohol. Additionally, binge drinking has a delayed effect which means you will not be able to control the impact the alcohol has on you and you may become more intoxicated than you had intended. 3) If you have been drinking, DON'T LEAVE THE PARTY ALONE. If necessary, call Public Safety for a transport. 4) Know what to do in case of an emergency. NEVER LEAVE A DRUNK PERSON ALONE. A conscious person could pass out on the way home. If someone is unconscious, do not assume the person is asleep. He or she may be in a coma. If lying down, the person should be turned on his or her side to prevent aspiration of vomit. Then, call PUBLIC SAFETY (911 from any campus phone), or PRINCETON UNIVERSITY HEALTH SERVICES (258-3139) for assistance.

We hope this year's Bicker and sign-ins will be enjoyable and safe for everyone. Ellen Kent The Princeton University Health Services Alcohol Team Coordinator

CCC defends ad

Yesterday's two letters concerning Campus Crusade for Christ criticized its advertising for a "rather cursory and generalized description" of other religions and for needing "to harp on other religions by proclaiming them to be only superficially related to those of Christianity." While this might imply that CCC members lack "Christianity's lessons of love and tolerance," the authors of the letters have shown themselves to have misunderstood the message of the ad.

This message was not to make a detailed analysis of the philosophical differences between the religions mentioned, but to point out that the assumption at end of one letter – that "the truth is one, though the paths may be many" – is wrong. In other words, there is a difference – a substantial, real, and meaningful one – between various religions; universalism, the notion that all people will be saved no matter what their beliefs, is wrong.

The ad focused on explaining this difference by pointing out several characteristics unique to Christianity. These characteristics are all based on the knowledge that Jesus Christ, both God and man at the same time, walked this earth and let himself be humiliated and crucified in order that man could be reconciled to God – even though it was humanity that, in defiance of His good and perfect will, had strayed from Him. The authors of the letters criticized this argument in two ways.

First, one letter's authors corrected the misuse of the term "karma." Not being an expert on Hinduism, I can neither confirm nor deny this misuse; however, I believe the point was clear even if the word was misused: Christianity is based on God's grace, and not man's actions, as is Hinduism. Neither of the letters deny this.

Second, both letters attack the ad for being disrespectful to their faith. However, there is an important difference between respect and judgment. To make an analogy, the judges in a competition respect the performances of all the competitors, but in the end they must judge which one they think is the best. In the same way, I respect the views of followers of other religions. However, given all the evidence available to me, I believe it is Christianity that is correct. To those who would argue that this does not preclude me from believing that other religions could be right, also, I quote Jesus Christ: "I [Christ] am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

I understand that followers of Hinduism disagree with me on this last point. However, I repeat that this does not mean that I do not respect them. In the same way, the ad was not being disrespectful to them; it was disagreeing. While the writers of the 'Prince' letters may disagree, believe me when I say that this ad, as well as the others, are motivated by love and not by self righteousness. Michael K. Werle '99 Campus Crusade for Christ member