Letters to the Editor

On safety at bicker, sign-ins

As club selection week begins, we write to call your attention to the commitment that all of the eating clubs and many student leaders have endorsed. This commitment, which is posted in the clubs and along walkways on Prospect Avenue, affirms the need for all students "to encourage a healthy and safe week of activities." It underscores the importance of "creating an atmosphere of mutual support among women who are participating in the eating club system."

We commend all of the eating club presidents for strongly supporting this commitment through participating in writing the document and promoting its visibility in the individual clubs.

We also commend the individual students from the Standing Committee on the Status of Women and the eating clubs who took the initiative on this project. These students worked hard to write this commitment because they understand the importance of creating a positive and respectful atmosphere for all women and men on the 'Street.'

We encourage all members of the community to join in supporting this commitment, and we hope you have a week filled with positive choices. Cheri Sistek Director of the Women's Center Sandra Silverman Assistant Dean of Student Life Karen Woodbridge Chair, President's Standing Committe on the Status of Women

Blair Arch railings

I had the occasion to visit the campus recently. Who came up with the idea to install industrial pipe on the Blair steps? Was it some University bureaucrat with no ties to the school other than just having a job on campus? And how did this get by President Shapiro? It's starting to have a state university look to it. Stephen J. Bednar '60

TLC McCosh-style

I would like the opportunity to offer another, somewhat more positive, view of patient care at McCosh Health Center.

I recently spent almost a week at the McCosh infirmary with a bad case of the flu. I must admit that I was somewhat reluctant to go at the offset, given all the less-than-positive McCosh stories floating around the Princeton campus.

However, with a 103 degree temperature and an orgo exam less than forty-eight hours away, the decision to go to McCosh was largely out of my control.

Once I was there, I ended up having a wonderful overall experience. The staff was very dedicated and caring. I really got the feel that they were genuinely concerned with the health and wellbeing of their patients. I cannot say enough good things about the nurses there who, day and night, monitored my temperature and encouraged me to drink more fluids to prevent dehydration.

I also must use this opportunity to highlight the care I received from Dr. Pyle, my physician during my time in the infirmary. While I can only really speak from my experience with him, I can definitely say that if all the physicians at McCosh are as dedicated to their patients as he is, Princeton University is truly lucky.

While it definitely was a relief to get better and get out of McCosh, I must admit now that I left with a twinge of sadness. O.K., so it was only a tiny twinge and it was very exhilarating to be healthy and free again. Nevertheless, it was a little sad not to get to see the same kind faces and chat with the people that had made my experience at McCosh so great.

I hope you will print this letter about my experience at McCosh as an alternate perspective to the negative experiences that are so often the focus of stories on McCosh.

While it is definitely important to air concerns about McCosh and to work to improve the quality of care, I also think it is important to give a balanced perspective and that means giving positive feedback as well. So on that note, thanks a lot and great work, McCosh! Jean Gaare '99