Figure skaters' win M.I.T. competition, avenge defeat

Two weekends ago, amidst the hype surrounding the men's basketball team's success, the women's club figure skating team made their presence known as well.

The team won a competition which featured six other teams, hosted by M.I.T. in Boston, Mass.

Princeton defeated Harvard, Boston University, Northeastern, UMass-Amherst and Cornell, as well as host M.I.T. in team competition.

"We had a lot of people win in the individual category, which added up," sophomore Denise Ng said.

Revenge

The win brings excitement to the team. At last year's M.I.T. competition, B.U. skated away with a win, leaving Princeton with a silver-medal finish.

"We were very excited," Ng said. "Last year we only came in second."

This year the team has more skaters than in the past, a factor which definitely increases their presence on the ice.

"We had a lot more people competing (this year)," Ng said. "That really helped us."

The competition was split into individual and team events. Each of the two divisions is separated into four categories: intermediate, novice, junior and senior classes.

In each of the categories, there are two types of events – the compulsory, which demands that skaters include specific moves in their routines, and a freestyle portion that allows the competitors to create their own routines.

Domination

Princeton took first place in the intermediate, novice and senior classes in the team events. In addition, the Tigers captured the first and second spots in the individual competition in intermediate, novice and junior classes. There was one third-place finish in the senior category.

"Freshman Lindsay Karfeld did really well," Ng said. "She had a really good performance."

The women's figure skating club has much to look forward to this semester as competition continues at Baker Rink. Princeton will host an invitational competition March 7, featuring B.U., Cornell, Delaware, M.I.T. and Harvard.

In addition, there is a show being put on by the club which will take place April 4, also at Baker Rink.

To prepare for the upcoming events, the team holds daily practices in the rink, which are open to all who can squeeze in a workout between classes.

"We try and get (on the) ice at least two hours a day," Ng said.