Men's swimming rolls past Cadets; Orr stays unbeaten against Army

After just coming off of its Florida training trip, the majority of the men's swimming team was still significantly drained from the intense practice schedule. And then a scheduling confusion made the team late for its meet on Tuesday, shortening the warmup time. So the Tigers weren't at their best against Army.

"Many of our swims were a little stale," senior captain Davin Quinn said. "We were still pretty beaten up."

Nonetheless, Princeton (2-0) easily defeated the Black Knights 179-113 in West Point, N.Y. The win marked the 19th time in as many seasons the Tigers have downed Army in dual meets, never losing while under the leadership of head coach Rob Orr.

Quinn, junior J.P. Norvell, and freshman Andrew Chadeayne spearheaded the Tiger attack with two victories each. Quinn's time of 58.56 seconds in the 100-yard breaststroke was a meet record, while his time of 2:05.53 in the 200 breast also led the field. Chadeayne's performance mirrored that of Quinn, as he won both backstroke events (52.45 in the 100 and 1:55.19 in the 200), claiming a meet record in the 100-yard distance. Norvell was tops in the 200 butterfly and 500 freestyle at 1:52.08 and 4:38.99, respectively.

Also winning events for Princeton were senior captain Jason Eaddy, sophomore diver Terry Meck and freshman Clayton Jones. Veteran Eaddy showed his distance experience in winning the 1,650 freestyle in a time of 15:56.37. Meck's 273.37 points were good enough to earn a victory in the 3-meter diving competition, while Jones paced the field in the 200 freestyle at 1:41.69.

In the long run

Although the training excursion wore the Tigers out in the short run, the Florida trip should pay off in the long run.

"The trip went well," Orr said. "The weather held up well and we remained relatively injury free. The swimmers got a good base training and I think it brought the team together."

The shoe will be on the other foot for the Tigers this weekend when they travel to Ithaca, N.Y. to take on Cornell. The Big Red is returning from its own Florida training trip today and may be as drained as Princeton was on Tuesday. However, many Tiger swimmers will miss the meet because of academics, so the final score may be closer than normally expected.

"Cornell has a handful of very solid swimmers," Orr said. "We'll keep it honest and we'll have to perform well to come out on top."