By the Numbers: Women’s lacrosse records and men’s volleyball

Group of people in white shirts huddled together on green grass.
Women’s lacrosse after 16–12 loss to Maryland.
Photo courtesy of @princetonwlax/X.

Each week, Sports and Data editors analyze recent athletic competitions to provide analysis and insight on the happenings of Princeton athletics and individual players across the 38 intercollegiate teams at Princeton. Whether they are record-breaking or day-to-day, statistics deliver information in concise ways and help inform fans who might have missed the action. Read past By the Numbers coverage here.

Princeton Tigers: April 11–April 17

Thirty-one games and matches were played across 15 sports and six U.S. states over the past week. Of the 25 games where only one team came out on top, the Tigers won 72 percent of matches and 87 percent of games within the Ivy League. Only one away game was lost this week, leading to the highest away-game win percentage yet. Multiple-day meets and tournaments are counted individually for each day of the competition. Competitions with more than one event or individual results such as golf and track and field are not included in our win percentage analysis.

Here to Save the Day

Sophomore pitcher Brielle Wright has made her mark on Tiger softball history, as she recorded her record-tying ninth save of her career in softball’s 20th win of the season, a 3–0 shutout victory over Monmouth. Wright’s next save will put her ahead of Riley Wilkinson ’19 and will tie the Ivy League record of ten.

How to Get Away with Murder

Senior Ben Harrington surpassed 1,000 kills during men’s volleyball’s loss yesterday to the University of Charleston this past weekend. The 2022 EIVA Newcomer of the Year becomes the first Tiger to reach the millennium mark since Peter Eichler ’08 — and he did it in only three seasons due to COVID-19.

More, More, and More for Morrisroe

First-year attacker Meg Morrisroe erupted for a program record-tying eight goals in No. 11 women’s lacrosse’s thumping of Brown 23–10 last weekend. The Huntington, N.Y. native more than doubled her career goal total — from 6 to 14 — on her way to netting the most scores in almost 35 years for the Tigers and taking home Ivy League Player of the Week.

“I think it was a great day for our offense,” First-year attacker Meg Morrisroe told the Daily Princetonian. “We were just playing really connected, following the game plan, and from the opening whistle we just knew what we had to do and we went out there and did it.”

The last time in program history eight goals were scored was in 1989, and before that, in 1981.

“There’ve been so many amazing women who have come through this program and done so much for it, so it’s definitely an honor to be up there,” Morrisroe said. “More than half my goals were assisted and I could not have done it without everyone else on the offense running the right plays.”

One small step for a tiger, one giant leap for Scoot and Kelly

Tiger track and field stars Georgie Scoot and Alex Kelly jumped high into the national rankings and above their past Princeton records in the long jump this past weekend. The two sophomores both beat Scoot’s previous record of 6.28m, as Scoot’s 6.49m places her at sixth in the nation and Kelly’s 6.45m is good for 12th. 

Magic Mac

Junior attacker McKenzie Blake’s already incredible season for women’s lacrosse is on pace to land her in the Tiger record books. So far, she has 47 goals on the year, and with at least three games left, she is on pace to hit 57 or more goals, good for a top-six scoring season ever for Princeton. Blake’s five goals against Columbia contributed to the most goals in an Ivy League game in over 40 years.

In Need of Assistance? 

Sophomore attacker Haven Dora has dished out 27 assists on the season so far for women’s lacrosse, only one away from breaking into the Princeton top ten for a single season. With two regular-season games and at least one postseason game left, Dora is poised to reach the top five — she is only four dimes away.

Tigers Triumph in the Tri-State 

This week, the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association (MBWA) released their postseason awards for both men’s and women’s basketball. 21 colleges and universities and nearly 300 athletes fall under the MBWA Division I umbrella, including Seton Hall, St John’s, Rutgers, and St. Peters. 

On the men’s side, sophomore stars guard Xaivian Lee and forward Caden Pierce were named to the first team. Senior guard and captain Matt Allocco received a third-team nod. The trio helped the Tigers finish the season with a 24–5 record and an NIT appearance. 

On the women’s side, seniors guard Kaitlyn Chen and forward Ellie Mitchell received first and second-team nods respectively. Lastly, sophomore guard Madison St. Rose was a third-team selection. The trio helped guide Head Coach Carla Berube’s program to win the Ivy League title for the fifth consecutive year and receive a bid to the NCAA tournament. 

All in all, it was a successful week for Tiger athletics, especially away with only one loss outside of Princeton. As classes wrap up, spring sports will continue conference play. Check back next week to stay updated on all things Princeton athletics — by the numbers.

Harrison Blank is an assistant Sports editor at the ‘Prince.’

Andrew Bosworth is head Data editor and Sports contributor for the ‘Prince.’

Please send all corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.