Eastwood - Good:Ugly

Well, it finally happened. School started again. And that means studying - a lot of it. And if you're like me, it's hard to focus when listening to music with words, but music of a more classical nature can be inspiring and motivating, too. So I listen to film soundtracks - no, not the average Hans Zimmer or John Williams score, but the more artistic and lesser-known works of composers such as Clint Mansell and Angelo Badalamenti. Last year I created a playlist that focused on music from The Fountain, Amelie, The Bourne Identityand some other places. This year, the playlist will feature the works of Ennio Morricone's spaghetti westerns and some selections from mystery films. Let's take a look at the playlist.

It starts with the contemplative "Truman Sleeps" from The Truman Show, a film about a man who doesn't realize that his whole life is a reality TV program.

The Truman Show

"Truman Sleeps" is the perfect segway into the deep throes of mystery and foreboding in Angelo Badalamenti's theme from "Mulholland Drive - Mulholland Drive/Love Theme."

Next, cruise into the 1940s with the theme from "Farewell My Lovely - Main Title (Marlowe's Theme)."

Then, listen to two tracks from the FX series, Fargo, by Jeff Russo - "Stavros' Prayer" and "Highway Snow."

Fargo 2

Switch gears from Midwestern mystery to the romantic omens of spaghetti Westerns with Ennio Morricone's "L'uomo dell' armonica (The Man with the Harmonica)," followed by "L'Arena" and "Il Tramanto." If you haven't seen the films that they originally appeared, you may recognize them from their appearances in other media, such as Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill films.

Jolt back to the epic, Biblical past (and stay awake) with "In the Beginning, There Was Nothing," "The Fallen Ones" and "Make Thee an Ark" by Clint Mansell, from the film Noah.

Noah 2

Then, return to soft beats with the systematic escalation of "Theme from World War Z" by The Evolved.

Conclude with an epic finish "The Ecstasy of Gold" and "The Trio" from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, also by Morricone.

If you're still working, you know what to do - hit replay.

And if you missed Intersections' first "Studying with Soundtracks" playlist, find it here.