Varghese ’19 elected to Young Alumni Trustee position

SarahVarghese0419_0007-edit.jpg

Sarah Varghese ’19, pictured

Courtesy of Mike Hotchkiss / Office of Communications

Sarah Varghese ’19 will begin her four-year term as a Young Alumni Trustee (YAT) on June 1, according to an email from Deputy University spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss.

Stefan (Amo) Amokwandoh ’19 and Rachel Yee ’19 were the other candidates in the general election, who, along with Varghese, had risen to the top of the primary election, in which only the senior class voted, during February-March 2019.

The YAT position was created in 1969 in order to ensure that the Board “would always include four members with recent experience as undergraduates.” Each YAT shares the same responsibilities as any other trustee on the University board.

According to Hotchkiss, the results of the YAT voting were presented at the Alumni Council Awards Luncheon on Friday, May 31.

“[T]he general election ran from April 30 to May 22 and the electorate was comprised of all members of the classes of 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020,” Hotchkiss wrote to The Daily Princetonian. “A total of 22.07% of the electorate participated in this year’s election.”

Varghese is a computer science major with certificates in dance performance and choreography. After graduation, she will join Digital McKinsey’s New York location as a Business Analyst, while also applying to master’s programs relating to the intersection of technology and society.

On campus, Varghese has been involved as an orientation leader, an Outdoor Action leader, a student worker at the Rocky-Mathey Dining Hall, a member of the USG Academic Committee, a peer tutor and learning consultant at the McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning, and a Fields Fellow with the Carl A. Fields Center. 

Most recently, Varghese worked at the Frist Welcome Desk and served as a student peer advisor at the Lewis Center for the Arts. She has also been a dancer and choreographer for Raqs Princeton Belly Dance Company and Expressions Dance Company, a member and co-founder at the Scully Co-op, and an actor and co-director for “The Vagina Monologues.”

Varghese had not responded to request for comment at the time of publication.