Updated: Basketball standout Cannady ’19 reinstated after suspension

cannadymsg4.jpg

Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.

Less than a month after he was suspended for violating team rules, men’s basketball standout Devin Cannady ’19 resumed play this weekend as the Tigers took on Yale and Brown. 

After the University completed its own investigation of Cannady, the Department of Athletics determined that Cannady has served the appropriate suspension from competition.

“Princeton University takes issues of student conduct very seriously and responds in accordance with established policies and procedures,” University spokesperson Ben Chang wrote in a statement to The Daily Princetonian. “The University investigates and adjudicates each individual case in a thorough and thoughtful manner.”

Cannady did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the ‘Prince.’ 

Cannady was suspended on Jan. 18 after an incident during which he allegedly swung at a Department of Public Safety officer in Wawa. At the time, he was charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest, and improper behavior.

According to Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office spokesperson Casey DeBlasio, the prosecutor’s office downgraded the indictable charge — aggravated assault — to a disorderly persons offense.

The case has been remanded to the Princeton Municipal Court.

Prior to his suspension, the senior guard was the team’s leading scorer this season, averaging 19.5 points per game. He is one of the most prolific scorers in Princeton history, ranking fifth on Princeton’s all-time scoring list, with 1,458 points, and third in career three-pointers, with 264.

Princeton played three games without Cannady, winning them all. However, the team struggled offensively against Ivy League opponents in his absence, scoring only 55 points against Columbia and making just two three-pointers in an overtime win at Cornell.

In his return to action, Cannady was notably rusty, scoring only 8 points and making only 3 of his 12 shots during his 34 minutes of play in the Tigers 74–60 loss to Yale on Friday. On Saturday, Cannady performed much better, scoring 24 points and grabbing 9 rebounds; despite his return, Princeton fell to Brown 78–70, dropping their second straight game.

Cannady will return to the friendly confines of Jadwin Gymnasium Friday against Harvard. The Tigers are currently in a three way tie for second with Harvard and Cornell at 4–2; they are a game behind first place Yale with about half of the Ivy League season remaining.