Women’s volleyball splits weekend with win over Dartmouth, loss against Harvard

Jessie_Harris

Junior Jessie Harris had 34 assists in Princeton's loss to Harvard. 

The women’s volleyball team (1–5 overall, 4–1 Ivy League) had a split weekend as it played Dartmouth (6–9, 2–3) and Harvard (7–7, 2–3), both on the road. The Tigers took the game against Dartmouth in three sets last Friday (25–18, 25–16, 25–17).

Junior outside hitter Devon Peterkin led the offense with 12 kills and three aces, totaling 15 overall points for the Tigers. Meanwhile sophomore middle blocker Clare Lenihan and senior middle blocker Caroline Sklaver each had eight kills. Reigning Ivy League Player of the Week junior right side hitter Maggie O’Connell also proved to be an all-around force with eight kills and a block. Defensively, first-year libero Cameron Dames had 15 digs while sophomore outside hitter Alexa Underwood racked up 12 digs to add to her six kills. First-time team captain junior setter Jessie Harris led the team with 40 assists. Harris currently leads the Ivy League in assists per set.

Harvard proved to be a much more difficult match than anticipated. Coming in with a conference record similar to Dartmouth’s, the Crimson stood strong against the Tigers on Saturday evening. Princeton lost in three sets (20–25, 19–25, 23–25). O’Connell led the offense with 12 kills, and Peterkin stayed strong with 10. Harris had 34 assists during this game but Princeton’s defense could not handle Harvard’s offense. The Crimson hit .381 with eight total errors while the Tigers hit .236 with 17 errors weighing them down.

Despite the unanticipated split weekend, O’Connell explained that many great things happened on the court.

“We did a good job creating our own energy in the Dartmouth and Harvard gyms, and we adjusted to the challenges of playing each team. Of course it is always difficult to come up short, but this weekend will serve as a valuable learning opportunity,” she said.

O’Connell commented on the work that the team is putting in after this tough loss. “We are definitely going to work hard this week to maintain a high energy level and focus on improving every time we step on the court. There is still a lot of season left, and we are excited to learn from this past weekend moving forward,” she said.

The Tigers’ 4–1 conference record puts them in a three-way tie with Yale and Cornell for atop the Ivy League. The Tigers will host the Big Red this Friday, Oct. 12, at 7 p.m. in Dillon Gymnasium.